Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn versus The Collection and The Frankenstein Theory

The Collection

Shawn: Talk about GORNOPOLIS! Ha ha. Just when I think I needed it the most. Sure, The Collector, (prequel), isn't even worth the memory of my watch, but don't let that stop you from seeing this.This was put together well. Like the Saw movies, it had satisfying gore. Dug it. Everything looked good, semi real, and just seemed to hit me at the right time. It scored there, then it produced an ending, satisfying my every movie watching need. At the time. Good.

Jason: What shocks me most about The Collection is how such a good sequel can be born from what was, ultimately, just an OK first film. The Collection is one of the most bad to the ass horror sequels I've seen in a long, long time. I'm beginning to think that the best horror films are no longer than 80 minutes. This is a tight, exciting and, at times, cringe-inducing flick. I dig that shit. But what's most awesome about Marcus Dunstan's sequel is the ending. Finally, we get to see someone put the smackdown on one of these “horror heroes,” and its glorious. I've waited decades to witness the beating that Arkin lays on The Collector. Good. Watching it again ASAP.

The Frankenstein Theory

Shawn: There was a time that I forgot I was even watching a found-footage movie here. That was about 10 minutes in. But make no mistake; this is a found-footage movie. With a score and all. (Yes that is allowed, and is not cheating) Ha ha. I was very pleasantly surprised by this movie, and although there was some "Canada" bashing, because of the "cold," I must tell you, that the movie was filmed entirely, in the United States of America. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, if you can spare the heat of the flame. I had NO preconceptions of this movie. Nor did I hope to see a clichéd Frankenstein monster run around ripping people to pieces. And if you are, this may not be the movie for you. It uses smarts to build the scare. Yeah, that's right. Smarts. This is likely my favorite found-footage movie yet. Thank you for hiring an "actual" film crew, to go on your "hunt" professor! Ha ha. Not so shaky cam! Giving this a Good.

Jason: I have to admit I knew very little about The Frankenstein Theory when I put it onto The Basement schedule. Then I found out it was a flick that hypothesized the Frankenstein story was true. But is The Frankenstein Theory a good movie? Yes it is. Like a lot of these found-footage flicks, it takes a while to get going. Fortunately there is a payoff at the end. I don't think this would have worked if it was shot in the standard format. Like Blair Witch, it relies on sound and the lack of an image to be frightening. Some people hate that kind of thing. I'm not one of them. And the Frankenstein angle, although out there, is still pretty neat. I'm compelled to watch this again because of the novelty of the idea. So, by Basement standards, this rates a Good.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. at the last days of the dead convention in chicago... i was able to meet/greet with the collection... http://izombielover.blogspot.com/2012/11/hulk-smash-and-meet-castcrew-of.html

    it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be totally awesome Jeremy. Would have dug that myself!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#CocktailHour: Slushtail

  Summer approaches, inspiring thoughts of sunshine, backyard parties, and having a tip and sip with friends.  With that in mind, I bring you this week sunny beverage. To make a slushtail, mix a can of frozen orange juice, a can of frozen lemonade (or limeade), a can of pineapple juice, a couple cups of black tea (or English Breakfast), and two cups of bourbon- such as Southern Comfort, in a pitcher.  When it's all nicely mixed, put it in the freezer until it's a nice slushy consistency. Scoop the slush into a cocktail glass, and pour in some Sprite or 7-Up.  Add a little umbrella for some frivolous fun, and a straw. Voila!  Ready to enjoy. This is a very refreshing drink.  The fruit juices, Sprite, and bourbon- when chilled makes for a great punch-like drink.  The bourbon doesn't overwhelm juices.   In fact, they are all nicely balanced in terms of flavors.  The sourness of the citrus fruits contrasts well with the slightly sweeter Southern Comfort.  It was refreshing enou

Unlock your fate with The Puzzle

When my dad wasn't working, building stuff or being my dad, he was making puzzles. It was a guaranteed way for him to unwind. So it was with great interest that I sat down to watch Italian filmmaker Davide Melini's award-winning short The Puzzle. You see, the mother in the five-minute film likes to relax with puzzles just like my dad. Unfortunately, her good-for-nothing son keeps harassing her for money. Losing herself in her favourite passtime, the mother soon discovers that completing this puzzle might unlock a nightmare. The Puzzle has been an official selection at more European film festivals than you can shake a stick at, and was voted Third Best Italian Film at the Rome International Film Festival in 2008. Having watched it, I'm not surprised. It's a tight little film that hits you hard in the final few seconds. You can tell Melini cut his teeth as an assistant director for legendary Italian filmmaker Dario Argento. But enough chit chat on my part. See if yo

The Animated Addict: "The Adventures of Tintin" (2011)

If you're a 40 + white dude, like myself, you may remember a comic series called " The Adventures of Tintin ".  I know I remember them.  This series, dating back to 1929, got turned into a animated feature film by Steven Spielberg in 2011. After buying a model of ship called The Unicorn, teenaged journalist Tintin finds himself on adventure that will take him from the high seas, to the low deserts, and from the distant past to the present.  With his trusty dog, Snowy, by his side, Tintin uncovers a story connecting two men across the centuries.. . The story is really quite good.  It's well crafted, and high paced- with just enough slow moments to build and develop the world and the characters.  This is the sort of adventure story you'd find in the old serials of the 1930's and '40's.  In fact, it felt like it was the sort of tale that you'd find Indiana Jones undertaking.  I found myself swept up, and swept along as our hero swung from one e