Skip to main content

Mike S tweets The Goonies

Once a week our mad twit Mike S from the Corner of Terror will shanghai The Basement's Twitter account and tweet along to a non-horror movie, all for your Internet pleasure. Cool, yes!?! We think so. 

For his latest foray into film criticism at 140 characters or less, The S opts to revisit Richard Donner's 1985 comedy/adventure The Goonies starring Corey Feldman and that kid who played Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Read on, brave web nerd!

Mike S here to tweet along to tonight since last night's attempt with was such a mess...

The bunks in the jail cell at the beginning of the movie remind me of some of army bunks I've slept on...  

I wonder what movie is playing on the TV during the opening car chase. Anybody know?  

And cue THE Corey fucking Feldman- 1980's movie icon...  

Whenever I see Ke Huy Quan (Data), I can't help but remember him as Short Round, and always hear the "Indiana Jones" theme...  

: Jeff Cohen, who played Chunk in is now a successful attorney...

You known Sean Astin's face hasn't changed much between and his role as Samwise in ...

I wonder how much Pepsi paid to have their product used at the 06:48 mark... I also saw a couple of MAD Magazines...

Who here has ever done the "Truffle Shuffle"? *raises hand...*  

: Jeff Cohen (Chunk) had chicken pox during filming , and you can see the pox scars during the "Truffle Shuffle"...

Rube Goldberg machines are always interesting to watch I find...  

Corey Feldman always played the annoying smart asses in his movies...  

I always wished we had an attic like in the movies...  

You know... I think I have the pirate book that the Brand looks through in the attic...  

I think we all have that one friend for whom you can do a countdown to chaos upon his touching something...  

If you were a pirate what would you name your ship? I'd call mine "The Black Kracken"...  

Cue the villianous businessman who wants to kick families out of there homes to build a golf course...  

Who remembers watching the Cyndi Lauper video that plays on the TV during ?

How exactly does one commit "Hari Krishna"?  

Cue a verbal product placement as Chunk mentions "Baby Ruth"...  

Whenever I watch , always seem to find Stephanie (played by Martha Plimpton) to be more attractive than Andrea...

What would you say was your "Gooniest" adventure growing up?  

I was wondering what the hell a rooster was doing crowing during the scene when arrive at the restaurant... It was my watch.

Anne Ramsey is such a joy to watch in her crotchety, mean momma roles...  

That is some seriously nasty assed water into those cups... Ick.  

Strange growling sounds coming from the cellar are seldom good news...  

Aaaaaaand... Cue... SLOTH!  

I just noticed that there is a LOT of screaming in ...

: "I've had all I can stand, and I can't stand no more!"

What's your favorite ice cream flavour? Chunk seems to like any and all flavours...  

I love the "Psycho" like music when they find the stiff in the cold room with the ice cream...  

I don't ever recall my brother and I drawing pistols while arguing over pizza like these two crooks...  

I'd like to know where Spielberg got the shirt and pants that Chunk is wearing... They're kinda cool...  

I love Chunk's lines... "I love the dark... I love the dark... but I hate nature..."  

The scene with the pips always makes me smile...  

Am I the only person that cringed when the blender scene took place?  

: During the blender scene, Chunk says his sister's name- which was also the name of Jeff Cohen's real life sister.

: Trying to calm a distraught woman and coming across a skeleton...

: If you find a string buried under the sand... don't tug on it...

I... I... I forgot about the scene with the bats... I don't like bats. Really. I don't like bats. *closes eyes*  

Troy is such a douche... but I knew people like him back in High School, sad to say.  

And cue the start of that great heroic team of Chunk and Sloth!

I love how these movies always have the inspiring, heroic, speech to keep the heroes moving forward.

The 1:07:28 marks displays a very well done example of Product Placement for Baby Ruth.

: The desire for chocolate has been known to give women superhuman strength...

One Eyed Willy really had a thing for Rube Goldberg machines...  

Who remembers what their first kiss was like?  

I'm not entirely sure I'd enter a cave that looks like a skull...  

Anybody else find it hard to tweet when you've got a cat playing with your ponytail?  

I look forward to the day when my piano lessons will help me solve a pirate puzzle...  

: "If you hit the wrong note, we'll all 'B flat'. heh..."

I would've had SOOO much fun during the water slide scene...  

: The actors weren't allowed to see the pirate ship until it was time to film the scene of them finding it.

Does anyone remember the name of the pirate ship?  

We all have one friend that you can tell is okay because they're complaining about something...  

Ow... I think a pair of chattering teeth clamped to my nuggets would be quite painful...  

Mouth is like a chipmunk storing jewels instead of nuts...  

"HEY YOU GUYS!" marks the dramatic Errol Flynn entrance of Chunk and Sloth!  

Awwww... Cue the romantic music and the kiss between Brandon and Andrea after he saves her...  

I'm guessing the Fratellis didn't figure out that One Eyed Willy loved booby traps despite all of the ones in the caves.  

Did one of the Fratellis go "meta" when he asked his brother whether or not he saw the movie?  

I love explosions in movies...  

Who else was worried about Sloth when he let the boulder go in order to go save his family?  

: "Your voice is actually nice... when your mouth isn't screwing it up..."

And cue the Domino's Pizza product placement... I wonder how many people felt the urge to have pizza after watching this movie?  

The richest family in Astoria speech makes me thing of "It's a Wonderful Life"...  

Ooooo... Pretty sparkly jewels...  

The shot of the pirate ship sailing away is just a beautiful way to end the movie...  

With the pirate ship going over the horizon, this week's tweet along comes to an end. I give a Good!

Tune in to @camethebasement next Sunday at 7 p.m. PST as Mike S. tweets along to another non-horror film.

You can follow Mike S @TerrorCorner. 
 

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!