Skip to main content

Tag-team review: Godzilla

Matt Bellamy and I took in Gareth Edwards' Godzilla tonight -- flick got out mere moments ago to be exact. Being a couple of die hard Godzilla and monster movie fans, we thought we'd share a review of this much anticipated flick.

We're gonna trade off thoughts without discussing what will be said in advance. I'm gonna let Matt start things off. And yes, we're aware of the mixed public reaction, for what that's worth. Because who cares what other people fucking think.

Over to you, Matt.

Matt: Is Godzilla the "King of the Monster" movies? Yes, yes I do believe that it is. I understand where people are coming from when they complain that there isn't enough actual Godzilla in a movie titled 'Godzilla' however if you've seen the 1954 Toho original then it actually does follow the same basic structure. So, in that sense, it's extremely faithful! What say you, Jason?

Jason: Having watched pretty much every Toho Godzilla movie -- or at least a lot of them -- I agree completely. This is a pure Godzilla movie, right down to structure and pacing. Only done with an "A" budget and zero camp value. This is a serious, old school blockbuster that reminded me a lot of the big movies I grew up with.

Matt: Speaking of old school blockbusters, I believe that Steven Spielberg pretty much pioneered the "summer movie season" back in 1975 when Jaws was released, and I think it's clear that director Gareth Edwards was heavily influenced by many of Señor Spielbergo's massive crowd pleasing hits from back in the day. There is so much of that old-fashioned spectacle, and sense of awe on display here that it made me seriously giddy at points. Is it weird that I got giddy next to you, Jay?

Jason: Not at all Matt. I feel the same way . . . about the movie. Ha ha. But yeah, Edwards slow burns his Godzilla appearances, building to a seriously awesome final act. Yet I wasn't bothered by the 90-minute tease. I thought it worked in the flick's favour. The first time Godzilla really appears gave me goosebumps. And shit only gets more real from there. Over to you, Señor Bellamy.

Matt: Gareth Edwards must LOVE foreplay, I mean, his women must be a gooey mess in his hands before he really turns on the after-burners. That's what I felt like during this flick. I was being wined and dined, there was plenty of flirting going on, I was basically ready to go all the way in the first 15-minutes and then when I could take no more BAM!! Godzilla vs. The MUTO. Total destruction! People fleeing in terror! Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria! This is not Pacific Rim (although awesome in its own right) so maybe that's what more people expected? I can't get in the minds of the general public, they watch Big Brother, so I don't get them.

Jason: I think a lot of people went in expecting two hours of Godzilla wrecking shit. Or they had the 1998 shitfest that was Roland Emmerich's Godzilla on the brain. This isn't either of those concepts. In fact SPOILER ALERT Godzilla is the good guy! Speaking of good guys (and gals), I really like Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Ken Watanabe and Bryan Cranston. Humans aren't supposed to matter much in movies like this, but I thought everyone owned here. There isn't a weak link in this movie, and you can't say that much about Hollywood blockbusters these days.

Matt: Plot is also not super important here, and if that causes your bowels to loosen then you've clearly never seen a Godzilla movie before. What makes these movies work is atmosphere, tension, special effects, and badass monsters duking it out over random cities. That's the formula! I'd say it was pretty much nailed here. Sure, there are caveats although they're very minor. I don't think the characters in general were amazing or terribly memorable but that doesn't bother me. If it bothers you then, oh well, different strokes, I guess? I'm content. Actually, more than that--I'm satisfied. If I smoked, I'd light up right now. Ahhhhh....

Jason: I concur Matt. The only thing that would make this flick better is if Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla played over the end credits. It's a Good, and then some. From both of us.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#CocktailHour: Slushtail

  Summer approaches, inspiring thoughts of sunshine, backyard parties, and having a tip and sip with friends.  With that in mind, I bring you this week sunny beverage. To make a slushtail, mix a can of frozen orange juice, a can of frozen lemonade (or limeade), a can of pineapple juice, a couple cups of black tea (or English Breakfast), and two cups of bourbon- such as Southern Comfort, in a pitcher.  When it's all nicely mixed, put it in the freezer until it's a nice slushy consistency. Scoop the slush into a cocktail glass, and pour in some Sprite or 7-Up.  Add a little umbrella for some frivolous fun, and a straw. Voila!  Ready to enjoy. This is a very refreshing drink.  The fruit juices, Sprite, and bourbon- when chilled makes for a great punch-like drink.  The bourbon doesn't overwhelm juices.   In fact, they are all nicely balanced in terms of flavors.  The sourness of the citrus fruits contrasts well with the slightly sweeter Southern Comfort.  It was refreshing enou

Unlock your fate with The Puzzle

When my dad wasn't working, building stuff or being my dad, he was making puzzles. It was a guaranteed way for him to unwind. So it was with great interest that I sat down to watch Italian filmmaker Davide Melini's award-winning short The Puzzle. You see, the mother in the five-minute film likes to relax with puzzles just like my dad. Unfortunately, her good-for-nothing son keeps harassing her for money. Losing herself in her favourite passtime, the mother soon discovers that completing this puzzle might unlock a nightmare. The Puzzle has been an official selection at more European film festivals than you can shake a stick at, and was voted Third Best Italian Film at the Rome International Film Festival in 2008. Having watched it, I'm not surprised. It's a tight little film that hits you hard in the final few seconds. You can tell Melini cut his teeth as an assistant director for legendary Italian filmmaker Dario Argento. But enough chit chat on my part. See if yo

The Animated Addict: "The Adventures of Tintin" (2011)

If you're a 40 + white dude, like myself, you may remember a comic series called " The Adventures of Tintin ".  I know I remember them.  This series, dating back to 1929, got turned into a animated feature film by Steven Spielberg in 2011. After buying a model of ship called The Unicorn, teenaged journalist Tintin finds himself on adventure that will take him from the high seas, to the low deserts, and from the distant past to the present.  With his trusty dog, Snowy, by his side, Tintin uncovers a story connecting two men across the centuries.. . The story is really quite good.  It's well crafted, and high paced- with just enough slow moments to build and develop the world and the characters.  This is the sort of adventure story you'd find in the old serials of the 1930's and '40's.  In fact, it felt like it was the sort of tale that you'd find Indiana Jones undertaking.  I found myself swept up, and swept along as our hero swung from one e