Skip to main content

Jason revisits Lockout

Back in July of 2012 I reviewed the Guy Pearce/Maggie Grace sci-fi/action flick Lockout and gave it a Bad. You can catch my original review right here. Now, a Bad traditionally means we never sit down and watch the movie again. But I recently bumped into Lockout on Netflix after one too many beers and something . . .  magical happened? Stick with me!

A man wrongly convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage against the U.S. is offered his freedom if he can rescue the president's daughter from an outer space prison taken over by violent inmates.

Truth be told, I've watched Lockout a couple of more times, and I'm now forced to adjust my opinion of it. Sure, the problems I had with the flick the first time still stand, but the things I enjoyed have gotten better.

For one, I appreciate how almost every character in Lockout is just that -- a character. They've all got personalities that are fleshed out by a competent cast. Kudos again to Vincent Regan and Jospeh Gilgun as the main bad guys. Regan is brutal but controlled. Gilgun is totally off his rocker. It's awesome! They're bad guys with balls and even a little depth. You don't get that in a lot of movies, B-grade or otherwise.

I praised Pearce for his action chops before, and the chemistry he and Grace share, but didn't make note of the one liners and humour he brings to the part. This dude gave the role of Snow his all, and embodied the qualities of the 80s action hero perfectly. He's the ultimate smart ass. Check out this exchange he has with Peter Stormare's chacter:

Langral: Again, what happened in that hotel room?
Snow: Oh, it was coupon night and I was trampolining your wife.
[Snow is punched in the face]
Langral: You're a real comedian aren't you, Snow?
Snow: Well I guess that's why they call it the punch line.
[Snow is punched again]
Langral: You don't like me, do you?
Snow: Don't flatter yourself. I don't like anybody.
Langral: With that attitude, I can see why nobody likes you.
Snow: Oh, come on. People love me. Just ask your wife.
[Snow is punched again]

It's moments like that, and the performances, that have brought me back to Lockout. I've gotta give the movie a Good, and encourage B-movie fans to check it out if they haven't already. It's perfect viewing with buds and a few beers.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. Jason revisits Lockout is nice movie & great leather jacket I praised Pearce for his action chops before, and the chemistry he and Grace share, but didn't make note of the one liners and humour he brings to the part....

    Movies Jackets

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!