Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn versus Stolen and Dredd

Stolen

Jason: I want to point out right off the bat that, unlike Shawn, I am not a Nicolas Cage hater. I've liked his work in The Rock, Con Air, Gone in 60 Seconds, Bringing Out the Dead and a number of mid-to-late 90s films.

But the man's star has fallen hard. Stolen is proof of that. Maybe it's because he's flat broke and has to take every film that comes his way, but Cage phones it in here. He can be a fun and quirky actor, but he's just going through the motions in Stolen. He's boring, just like the movie.

There's technically nothing wrong with Stolen. It's well made and, essentially well written. But the action is nothing better than a TV movie, save for one great car-jump trick inside a parking garage. Otherwise it's boring foot and car chases, plus a lame fistfight or two. Yawn. Been there, done that.

It didn't take long for Cage to fall from award winner to Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Stolen is just the latest entry in his descent. Here's hoping The Expendables 3 wakes him up. A Bad from me.

Shawn: Nick Cage. Again. I’ve seen this same guy in a lot of films lately. And it’s just that. It isn’t the character in ANY of these movies. It’s Nicolas Cage.

He gets movies where they’re like: “Be yourself, but pretending you are cooler." But he fails. And I have a hard time with the watch, cause I’m too busy loathing him. Get over myself? OK.

The movie was a decent idea, not like we haven’t seen it before, done over and over by better AND worse actors. This was a mediocre film that was made Ugly to me by the cast. Can’t watch it again. Would pee on it, but it's on my computer, and I need that. So . . . That’s where I stand on that.

Dredd


Jason: Dredd is fucking awesome! For the record, this film went into production before the much more hyped -- and deservedly so -- The Raid. But the only similarities are its cops-trapped-in-a-building-by-drug-dealers theme. The Raid is a hard core martial arts/action film. Dredd is a Judge Dredd movie that happens to take place inside a building. Deal with it.

Karl Urban embodies Dredd perfectly. He's a sci-fi Clint Eastwood who looks like the comic version of Dredd, right down to the sour look on his face throughout. I want a dozen Dredd movie just because Urban is that good. Too bad this bombed and it'll never happen.

Action? Bloody and R-rated. This movie doesn't fuck around one bit with the violence. And there's plenty of profanity too. The world needs more hard-R action movies. Hopefully Dredd and the recent announcement of an R-rate Die Hard movie is the beginning of the tide turning.

Fuck yeah, this movie rates a Good. The Raid is still the best action movie I've seen in years, but Dredd is hands down the most bad ass of comic book movies to come down the pike in a long time.


Shawn: Sometimes a movie comes along that, when the final credits roll, you just sit there and reflect. One word: bravo. Two more: thank you.

I liked this movie as much as I liked Robocop when I first saw that. This movie is adjusted for the time travel between then and now. It’s sad that it got ZERO attention when it made Stallone’s Judge Dredd look like a kids cartoon. No attention. I guess the bastards in Hollow wood…Yes, hollow…are zombifying the masses with such shit as Twilight. My  HAND is a better love story than Twilight.

Too bad.

This was a Good, and for the first time in Basement Reviews history, left me longing for a rating a step up from a Good.

Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!