Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review The Hole and Airborne

The Hole

Jason: In many ways, The Hole is more of a tribute to 80s cinema than J.J. Abrams' Super 8. For one, it's directed by one of the finest purveyors of 80s movie making -- Joe Dante. You know, the guy who made Gremlins, Explorers, and Inner Space? Hell, when it comes to horror, this is the dude who made the original Howling and Piranha

But is this movie any good? Yarp. The creepy kid and creepy doll sequences are beau-coup scary. Actually, this movie really took off for me when the ghost of the dead kid AND the creepy clown were introduced, almost simultaneously. Actually, every horror sequence in this movie works. Flawlessly.

I admit, I'm a bit too old to fully enjoy The Hole. This would be a perfect flick for someone in his early to mid teens. Hell, even the jail bait that is Haley Bennett is cast strictly to entice young male viewers. 

That said, my son will love this shit when he is old enough to fully appreciate it. And I know I will watch this again with him, and that rates a Good in my book.

Shawn: Nickelodeon does horror. 

Hey, this movie had a butt-load of potential. It had some fantastic imagery in some spots, a good bit of hair-raising moments. However, the look and feel of the actors was all wrong. It brought what looked like a feel-good kids' movie into the wrong genre. There were some strange plot holes, and odd behaviour. 

This could have been a shorts shitting movie had they made it a bit “grittier." Otherwise, it was just a YTV movie that bordered on horror and abuse. I’ve watched too many of those. I have to give it a Bad.

Airborne

Shawn: I went into this movie dragging my heels, and my guitar in my lap, for distraction purposes. Just in case. A movie set mostly on a plane. Woot. Feel the energy and excitement. Woot.

BUT you know what? This movie came around! I was pleasantly surprised. Mark Hamill was a secondary character. He is a flight control supervisor trying to save the plane from multiple assailants, including the spirit of some EVIL Japanese GOD! How are you going to save it? …Use the force, Luke! 

Naw. A pleasant surprise that I may even watch again. Bad acting and all. Gotta give it a Good!

Jason: Poor Mark Hamill. He hasn't got any respect since Star Wars, and even then everyone knew Harrison Ford was the man. He seems pretty wasted here, in that he has nothing to do. Whether or not he was sober during the shoot isn't any of my business.

Airborne is very contrived. A flight full of red flags, a plot to steal some valuable artifact AND some kind of evil Chinese god? Sure. I know movies are supposed to be bullshit, but I can't even suspend my disbelief enough to believe that all this shit could go down at once.

This movie isn't bad to the ass at all. It's just bad and ass. I'm not even going to give it a Bad, actually. It wasted my time, so it's an Ugly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!