Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review: Red: Werewolf Hunter and Assassination Games

Red: Werewolf Hunter

Jason: A cardinal sin with film criticism is comparing the movie you are watching to the movie you hoped to see. Yet I committed this sin over and over again while watching Red: Werewolf Hunter. Everyone involved in this movie thought they were creating Shakespeare. This is a serious melodrama about people who just happen to be killing werewolves. I wanted a fun, campy, gory, violent exploitation movie with flippant humour, boobies and lots and lots attitude. I mean, this is called Red: Werewolf Hunter for Christ sake. Come on! I only got about 15 minutes of what I was looking for, so this rates a Bad for me.

Shawn: This was on SyFy channel? Really? Cool! If I were watching the SyFy channel this would have been a welcome surprise. I dug the whole concept and was fairly entertained. The effects are filled with plenty of cheese, but the werewolf design wasn't bad at all. Not Dog Soldiers, but OK for CGI. The lack of funding hurt what this movie could have been, but the makers were able to escape the low budget with a little creativity. All in all, this is a cheesy made-for-TV movie and I didn't mind it. It isn't Good, therefor it's Bad. But I didn't mind the ride.

Assassination Games

Jason: I'm going to admit right off the top that I was let down by Assassination Games, but only because I expected a balls-to-the wall action flick and didn't get it. Instead, I got a movie that tried very hard to have an intricate plot and a heart. A Van Damme movie with heart? Go figure! The man himself impressed me. Van Damme can fucking act. And he can still kick. He's the glue that holds this movie together. I wanted more ass kicking from him than I got here, but he still delivers. So does the limited amount of action that's in this movie. This is an enjoyable enough action film, but I wanted more. Assassination Games gets a Bad from me.

Shawn: I've been watching a lot of Jean-Claude Van Damme movies lately and have been surprised by his ability to actually act. That said, he's been typecast as a depressed, old, ass kicker because he does it so well. Who am I kidding? I loved Bloodsport, so acting isn't really high on my priority list. Van Damme rocks some one-liners in this movie. Some work, some don't. I particularly like "People choose how they will die by how they choose to live." All that said, this movie is awesome. I dug it a lot, even though the story is slightly cheesy. It was still brutal, satisfying and a definite Good from this Basement Dweller.

Comments

  1. Red:werewolf hunter i havent seen this but why is the corpse in the caption burning and she is hold a pistol have we advanced technology far enough that a nine mil is a friggin flame thrower??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Werewolves burst into flames when hit with silver bullets in this movie. So they can, you know, copy the Blade effect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!