Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn versus 6 Degrees of Hell and Gut

6 Degrees of Hell

Jason: I'm of two minds on 6 Degrees of Hell. On the plus side, it's a fun horror ride with a cool concept and batshit crazy conclusion when, well, all hell essentially breaks loose. There's some groovy stuff that goes on in this flick. I really like the Hotel of Horror, and the thought of being trapped in a creepy amusement park ride that suddenly comes to life is frightening.

On the down side, screenwriter Harrison Smith is trying to do too much. There's too many characters, flashbacks within flashbacks, and unnecessary plot points. This is a case where less would have been more. And too bad the budget was low, because this is a movie that screamed for more blood and gore.

As for Corey Feldman, he's this film's Sam Loomis, only with less to do. He spends the movie talking with a cop and, although I liked those scenes a lot, I wanted more of him. There should be a Kyle Brenner movie! Fans of his might be disappointed, because he doesn't have a lot of screen time. Be warned.

What to give our feature from The Month from Hell? I liked screenwriter Harrison Smith's The Fields a lot more, but still enjoyed 6 Degrees of Hell and would watch it again with buds over beer. I will give it a Good in the end.

Shawn: Here's a high-expectation movie given the interviews we had with everyone involved, including THAT Corey Feldman. It also claimed to be the Scariest Movie of 2012. Nope. Not even close. I watched a two-minute short called Mama that was scarier.

That said, it was probably WAY scarier for the actors, as they were in a "supposed" haunted hotel. For real. So that probably added to the hype.

The actors were fantastic, all but one. 'Nuff said.

Anyway, I liked the movie for one watch for sure, but was let down. Big time. It was almost more campy to me than scary. Still, it ranks a Bad in my books.

Gut

Jason: Gut's a hard movie to review. It's technically well made and is definitely not without interest. But I'm still not sure how interesting it really is. The film is slow, and not a lot happens except for long sequences of these characters' boring jobs and lives. But there's a lot more going on here than meets the eye.

For one, what's up with our two main characters? I got the impression that Dan, the weird guy, had a lot more invested in this friendship than Tom. A little too much, if you know what I mean. It was creepy.

Co-writer/director Elias does a good job of keeping us guessing about what's really going on. Is Dan making the videos or not? And although I kinda saw the ending coming -- there really was no other outcome -- it still left me feeling like I was punched in the, well, gut.

The performances are serviceable but not exceptional, the snuff sequences unnerving, and the ambiguity of it all frustrating but compelling. I wasn't bored by Gut, but not thrilled by it either. Yet I was still affected by it. How's that for ambiguity?

God damn it, I have to give it a rating. This would be a hard movie to sit through again, but then again I might in order to introduce what really is a little decent film to others. Fuck it, I'm giving Gut a Bad. Had it been faster paced and more clear cut, it'd rate it higher.

Shawn: I'm not even sure if Jay was speaking English, so I'm going to break it down in layman's terms. Gut is weird as fuck. Totally weird. Don't even know if I get it. However, after all is said and done, I dug the watch.

I loved that it seemed to be scored with just a guitar and amp. It was very ambient music. Loved that.

The movie moved pretty slow, but it was shot well. Twisted? Not really. I've seen worse. But it was good for a watch. I won't watch it again, so it gets a Bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!