Bigfoot movies are a dime a dozen but the cold, hard, truth is most of them really aren't that good. For every Abominable and Exists, there's a bazillion low-budget clunkers that give the creature a bad name.
Fortunately, writer/director Justin Lee's Big Legend is one of the good ones. Yup, gonna come right out and say it.
Yes, it has almost no budget. You can tell from the lack of production design, polish and limited use of sets when the film abandons the forest for the city. And some of the dialogue is pretty flat. If I hear the phrase "Chief" one more time, I'm gonna lose my shit.
But the rest of Big Legend is pretty darn solid. A lot of the film's success rests on lead Kevin Makely, as the flick is, for a large part, a one-man show. Makely does the action hero thing pretty well as he tracks down whoever or whatever took his fiancé during a disastrous camping trip.
We know going in that Bigfoot is responsible, but the ride itself is a fun one. Basement fan Cameron Sullivan called the movie Predator meets First Blood, and that's pretty accurate. There's some decent action scenes, and Bigfoot looks pretty rad. Lee also does a good job of working Bigfoot folklore into the story.
It was nice to see genre vets Adrianne Barbeau and Lance Henriksen show up as well and, although I didn't see it coming, Lee sets this film up to be a franchise. I don't think I've ever wanted to see a sequel so bad.
Big Legend is a Good. I had a lot of fun with it, and would recommend it to genre and B-movie buffs.
Fortunately, writer/director Justin Lee's Big Legend is one of the good ones. Yup, gonna come right out and say it.
Yes, it has almost no budget. You can tell from the lack of production design, polish and limited use of sets when the film abandons the forest for the city. And some of the dialogue is pretty flat. If I hear the phrase "Chief" one more time, I'm gonna lose my shit.
But the rest of Big Legend is pretty darn solid. A lot of the film's success rests on lead Kevin Makely, as the flick is, for a large part, a one-man show. Makely does the action hero thing pretty well as he tracks down whoever or whatever took his fiancé during a disastrous camping trip.
We know going in that Bigfoot is responsible, but the ride itself is a fun one. Basement fan Cameron Sullivan called the movie Predator meets First Blood, and that's pretty accurate. There's some decent action scenes, and Bigfoot looks pretty rad. Lee also does a good job of working Bigfoot folklore into the story.
It was nice to see genre vets Adrianne Barbeau and Lance Henriksen show up as well and, although I didn't see it coming, Lee sets this film up to be a franchise. I don't think I've ever wanted to see a sequel so bad.
Big Legend is a Good. I had a lot of fun with it, and would recommend it to genre and B-movie buffs.

Comments
Post a Comment