Skip to main content

From The Corner: Frozen (2010)

I'm not going to lie- this movie SOUNDED good and interesting, and I was intrigued to see how someone would handle a story with such a limited number of cast and locations.

Joe, Dan and Dan's girlfriend, Parker are skiing and decided to bribe the chair lift operator to allow them one last run- despite warnings of a severe storm heading in. Due to a bad timing and miscommunication, the three wind up stranded on the chair lift halfwayup the mountain. The trio soon learn that freezing isn't the only way to die in the cold night air...

This film is notable for reports of people fainting while viewing it at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, and for being the opening movie of the Glasgow Frightfest.

This movie had potential, but was hampered by clunky dialouge, a lackluster cast, and stiff acting that wasn't the result of the cold. This is a dialogue heavy movie... and not very interesting dialogue. When they're not whining, they're crying, and when they're not crying, they're screaming. The dialogue doesn't really help you care about the characters, since they weren't very likable at the beginning. Dan was "The Rich Douche", Joe was the "Mooch Douche", and Parker was, "That Girl"... and of the three, Joe was the most likable.

I will give Dan and Joe credit however for showing SOME redeeming qualities when they step up and do what needs to be done in order to try and get rescue while Parker just shivered and cried. Ultimately though, I felt little sympathy for characters whose sense of "entitlement" and arrogance helped get them into such a dire situation to begin with.

The cast wasn't what I could classify as steller- and their less than natural performance probably helped to contribute to my inability to like the characters. Shawn Ashmore- you plays Joe, did a decent job compared to Kevin Zeger (Dan), and Emily Bell (Parker), but it wasn't enough to pull me into hoping he survives. I will however say, that these three were great at crying and shivering.

It's hard for me to feel tension and suspense in a movie like this when I can pretty much predict what's happening. Introduce two best friends and a girlfriend taking part in a "man's weekend"- I could see the emotional "conflict" coming and tally up a kill. Introduce a cute girl for one of the friends to chat up- I could tally up one more kill. Introduce a fat ski lift operator who wants to go home- yep, I knew what would happen. Before they even got onto the ski lift, I could tell who would die. The rest was just watching Fate unrolling for the three characters.

There are some positives to this movie however, and I HAVE to admit that it has to be tough to do a suspenseful movie with three people and a chair lift. One of the positives was parts of the camera work. The scenic shots were beautiful and helped to accent the isolation the characters were experiencing. Also, the gore- what little gore there is, was actually done pretty well.

In the final analysis, I have to give Adam Green credit for trying to create something interesting with such limited and flawed resources. Unfortunately, that effort just wasn't enough to pull into the movie on an emotional level. For a thriller, I just didn't find "Frozen" all that thrilling... and I'd have to rate this movie as part of "The Ugly"

Follow Mike S @TerrorCorner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!