Skip to main content

Lachlan Labere versus X-Men: Days of Future Past

Bryan Singer has saved the X-Men.

OK, the Days of Future Past director wasn't alone. Its trio of screenwriters helped. So did the team of producers. John Ottman played a part, once again doing the music for the series. And I suppose the army of artists, sound people, effects wizards, camera people, casting department, etc.

Oh yeah, the extraordinary cast deserves some credit too, like Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Peter Dinklage, the stellar Evan Peters and, of course, the uber-ripped Hugh Jackmam, AKA the Wolverine.

So let me recap: Bryan Singer, the Wolverine, and a whole bunch of people saved the X-Men. The movie series. Maybe the comic too.

I beg your pardon. I just left the theatre, which means I'm still in the "honeymoon stage" with this film, my perception of its flaws still blinded by a blissful suspension of disbelief. For who would be so foolish enough to spend hard-earned money to go into an X-Men movie to pick it apart for continuity problems. With something as utterly vast, dynamic and ever-changing as the X-Men narrative, mistakes and/or oversights are to be expected and, strictly speaking to the past films, some things are best forgotten.

Sorry Basementites, while there's plenty of violence, and some of it fairly grim (although Iceman's head has me wanting a novelty silicone ice tray) -- there's is next to no bloodshed. However, there is a lot of semi-naked Jennifer Lawrence, who has really taken ownership of the Mystique role. She and her stunt-double do a pretty fine job. Fassbender, who stole the last X-Men outing, First Class, once again puts in a fine performance. Peters portrayal of Quicksilver is a total treat. I'll say no more on that. But it's definitely the highlight of the film.

And STOP. I was getting close to putting some spoilers there, but I think I've said enough.

What I will say is this movie ties up a lot of loose ends and brings focus. It also strips away that dystopian future from the comics that, frankly, I never got into. (I stopped ready religiously about the time when the Brood were introduced) Seems to me Days of Future Past does away with that convoluted storyline and offers potential for a bold new direction. Not that Marvel would ever milk anything to produce more copy. Or more films for that matter.

And yes, another X-Men film is planned for 2016, again with Singer at the helm.

To sum up Days of Future Past, yes, it is a big summer blockbuster extravaganza. Yes, it's bloated with CGI. And yes, there's some deep social commentary rooted throughout that doesn't try to hit you on the head like a hammer attempting to guilt you into not enjoying yourself. Oh, and there's some humour too.

Definitely a Good. For now anyhow. I may give it a second go after the honeymoon.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!