Thursday, February 6, 2014

A few thoughts on Dario Argento

After thrashing Dracula last night and watching part of my soul die, I felt compelled to write something up about the Dario Argento I grew to love.

The very first Argento movie I saw was Suspiria. I had no idea who he was, what the movie was or what I was in for. I was 18, it was on cable, and after the score began I threw a tape in because I had a feeling I was in for something special. I was so mesmerized by the visuals, the music and the 70's technicolor psychedelic blood, I had to watch it again for the story.

Argento changed me. I don't watch movies the same. I don't listen to a score the same. He set the tone for making horror an art form. Stay away from the newer movies, watch a real Dario film.. Deep Red, Opera, Phenomena, Inferno or Four Flies on Grey Velvet to name a few.

I don't know what changed him. It's depressing seeing his decline. But there is a body of work that I will never tire of. 

You can follow Suzanne Cappelletti on Twitter at @Flyye01
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment