Skip to main content

Girl's Eye View: Don Jon

Allow me to quickly introduce myself: My name is Kara, and I live over at www.karaschatter.com . I have no experience in the movie industry, other than watching and appreciating them. I thought I would offer up my movie reviewing skills, or lack thereof, to The Basement to give readers a female perspective on movies, new, old, good, and bad. 

I will say right off the bat that when I saw the trailer for Don Jon on TV I wasn’t 100% sure what the movie was about. I knew that Joseph Gordon-Levitt both directed and wrote it, that Scarlett Johansson’s character catches Gordon-Levitt’s character watching porn, and that Gordon-Levitt sings an awesome rendition of Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch’s “Good Vibrations.” (Because who hasn’t sung like that when they’re alone in the vehicle?)

So, moving onto the movie -- in a nutshell, it’s about porn. Yep. Bow-chicka-wow-wow. The main character, Jon (Gordon-Levitt), is obsessed with porn and loves it more that the real deal. But, he’s still a ladies man and enjoys the challenge of picking up a new lady at the bar to take home for the night.

Cue ScarJo’s character. Barbara gives Jon a run for his money and makes a good try at getting him to change his porno watching ways. I’m not a huge ScarJo fan to begin with, and adding a nasally Jersey accent to the mix didn’t really do it for me.

Enter Julianne Moore. She catched Jon watching porn on his cellphone during night school and befriends him, teaching him great life lessons like how to connect and that porn sex isn’t like real sex. (What, it isn’t? Who knew ...) Adding her acting chops to the flick made me take it a bit seriously.

There’s also Tony Danza playing Jon Sr. Who wouldn’t want this iconic actor playing his Jersey Shore dad? His role was small, but the moments were good.

So sure, it’s a movie about porn, but there’s a lot of great life-lessons to be learned while watching it. Gordon-Levitt did a decent job at his first crack directing and writing a full-length film, and Moore was fantastic as she always is.

I’ll give Don Jon a Good.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!