Skip to main content

A report from Billy Trigger: Part 1

Looking back at my experience on the set of Billy Trigger, it's all become one big blur. A fast-paced and surreal adventure that won't ever be forgotten. I travelled somewhere I'd never been before, hung out with some great people, met Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, and got my ass killed on film. Pretty awesome stuff really!

To break it down:

I touched down in Montreal at about 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 14, and caught a taxi to the downtown office John Fallon shares with fellow actor/producer Deke Richards, who fans will remember from Deaden. Richards plays mobster Mikey in Billy Trigger.

It was good to see The Arrow again, and we caught up over a few whiskies before hitting a local pub, McKibbins, which doubles as the bar owned by The Hammer's character, Pops, in the film. John said I can't come to Montreal and not have some traditional poutine. I've had the dish before, but nothing compares to the plate I downed at McKibbins. Good grub!

Then it was back to Arrow in the Head headquarters for a couple more drinks. I got to meet Deke, who is one cool dude, before we called it a night.

Call time was 9 a.m. and the day ahead called for a gunfight at an upscale Griffintown condo in the Irish section of Montreal

The next morning we were all up with the sun. Deke not only acts in the movie, but he transports cast and crew, moves equipment and picks up lunch.

"That's the way it is on a low-budget movie man," Richards explained.

Then he was out the door. A short time later, we got a phone call. Our call time had been moved back to 10 a.m., giving me some time to kill. So I ran a couple of blocks over and paid my respects to the Bell Centre, home of John's beloved Montreal Canadiens. It was a thrill.

We got into Deke's car shortly before 10 and whipped over to a nearby hotel to pick up The Hammer, who is just as big and imposing as he looks on film. And the cat is always on. Think Black Ceasar or any one of the characters Fred has played on screen, and that's him in reality.

"How's it going my man?" he asked, and shook my hand when John introduced us. He's got big hands. He later told me he only uses Desert Eagle pistols in his movies because they don't disappear in his grip.

The rest of the drive to Griffintown was passed with small talk, but when it's The Hammer cracking jokes, there's nothing small about it.

We pulled up in front of our location -- an old mill that's been converted into condos. One of the condos doubled as an apartment owned by Jinny (Meghan Gabruch), Pops' daughter.

It's also the condo where I met my demise . . .

Stay tuned for Part 2!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#CocktailHour: Slushtail

  Summer approaches, inspiring thoughts of sunshine, backyard parties, and having a tip and sip with friends.  With that in mind, I bring you this week sunny beverage. To make a slushtail, mix a can of frozen orange juice, a can of frozen lemonade (or limeade), a can of pineapple juice, a couple cups of black tea (or English Breakfast), and two cups of bourbon- such as Southern Comfort, in a pitcher.  When it's all nicely mixed, put it in the freezer until it's a nice slushy consistency. Scoop the slush into a cocktail glass, and pour in some Sprite or 7-Up.  Add a little umbrella for some frivolous fun, and a straw. Voila!  Ready to enjoy. This is a very refreshing drink.  The fruit juices, Sprite, and bourbon- when chilled makes for a great punch-like drink.  The bourbon doesn't overwhelm juices.   In fact, they are all nicely balanced in terms of flavors.  The sourness of the citrus fruits contrasts well with the slightly sweeter Southern Comfort.  It was refreshing enou

Unlock your fate with The Puzzle

When my dad wasn't working, building stuff or being my dad, he was making puzzles. It was a guaranteed way for him to unwind. So it was with great interest that I sat down to watch Italian filmmaker Davide Melini's award-winning short The Puzzle. You see, the mother in the five-minute film likes to relax with puzzles just like my dad. Unfortunately, her good-for-nothing son keeps harassing her for money. Losing herself in her favourite passtime, the mother soon discovers that completing this puzzle might unlock a nightmare. The Puzzle has been an official selection at more European film festivals than you can shake a stick at, and was voted Third Best Italian Film at the Rome International Film Festival in 2008. Having watched it, I'm not surprised. It's a tight little film that hits you hard in the final few seconds. You can tell Melini cut his teeth as an assistant director for legendary Italian filmmaker Dario Argento. But enough chit chat on my part. See if yo

The Animated Addict: "The Adventures of Tintin" (2011)

If you're a 40 + white dude, like myself, you may remember a comic series called " The Adventures of Tintin ".  I know I remember them.  This series, dating back to 1929, got turned into a animated feature film by Steven Spielberg in 2011. After buying a model of ship called The Unicorn, teenaged journalist Tintin finds himself on adventure that will take him from the high seas, to the low deserts, and from the distant past to the present.  With his trusty dog, Snowy, by his side, Tintin uncovers a story connecting two men across the centuries.. . The story is really quite good.  It's well crafted, and high paced- with just enough slow moments to build and develop the world and the characters.  This is the sort of adventure story you'd find in the old serials of the 1930's and '40's.  In fact, it felt like it was the sort of tale that you'd find Indiana Jones undertaking.  I found myself swept up, and swept along as our hero swung from one e