Skip to main content

Girl’s Eye View: The Expendables 2

Allow me to quickly introduce myself: My name is Kara, and I live over at www.karaschatter.com . I have no experience in the movie industry, other than watching and appreciating them. I thought I would offer up my movie reviewing skills, or lack thereof, to The Basement to give readers a female perspective on movies, new, old, good, and bad.

First off: I will admit that I’m a late bloomer when it comes to appreciating old action flicks. Being a girl, I tend to steer more towards tear-jerking romantic comedies rather than blood and guts action flicks, but thanks to my husband, I caught up on the “classics.” And, man, am I glad I did before watching this movie. (I just watched Die Hard for the first time last Christmas – shame on me, I know)

When the first Expendables movie came out, I was quite pleased by the ensemble cast. The second edition though? I was over the moon stoked to see it. It didn’t hurt that my “other husband” Jason Statham returned for the sequel, but I digress …

What can I say about this movie other than how awesomely chock-filled of cheesy 80’s excellence it is? From the beginning to end action to the not-so-subtle movie references, I was giddy during the entire movie. It did not disappoint me at all. Actually, that’s a lie – I somewhat expended Ah-nuld to make some kind of “Get to the choppa” remark, but I’ll forgive him.

I really think the Expendables 2 is one of the underdog movies of the summer, with big blockbusters such as Total Recall, the Dark Knight Rises and The Bourne Legacy dominating the box office, but if you really just want to enjoy a no-frills, shoot-em-up movie that’s just fun to watch, this one is the golden ticket.

I will say that I was marginally surprised to see a female (Maggie, played by Nan Yu) join the Expendables, but it was a nice break from the overly-toned trapezius muscles. It also just goes to show that girls can kick a little ass too.

Overall, this girlish movie goer really, REALLY enjoyed this movie. Sure, it lacked the twists and turns in the plot that most action movies have these days, but it was GOOD. No confusion, no mess (other than the itty-bitty human pieces blown everywhere in the movie), just a bunch of WIN. 

Comments

  1. Great write up! welcome to the Basement!
    I just saw it for a second time and it is just awesome, big smile on my face the whole time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!