Skip to main content

The Amazing Spiderman and Shawn.

After the grossness of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man franchise, one would wonder why I would look into another "Spidey" reboot.  What's next?  I watch The remake of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?  Fuck, no.

This was pure curiosity.  Like watching one train fly off broken tracks, then seeing another train following the same tracks.  Could they be repaired before derailment?


In a phrase, "I don't know".  This version was definitely  better than all of the Raimi shenanigans. It was a tad darker, better acted and no Mary Jane. (Dunst).  It was a full on reboot, with scenes vaguely familiar in a lot of senses.  Comics, cartoons, movies...

I think, this reboot didn't need to happen from the beginning.  The bigger budgeted, flashier Raimi versions familiarized most of earth with spider-man.  They could have jumped in anywhere, here.  They could have brought in more excitement, more something that wasn't a love story.  There were quite a few weak, awkward moments too.

 Maybe the half hour cartoons were the best, because they maximized the action, in such a short amount of time. No real room for mushy emotions. Boo.

The Lizard made a cool adversary and I thought was done pretty well.  But it is 2012... Marty McFly travelled to a future, that was only a few days ago, and we still don't have flying fucking cars that run beer cans and banana peels.  So seeing a lizard man on the big screen, better fill the gap of the flying cars we don't have.

 I gave all "Spider-Raimi" versions an ugly.  And a single finger salute.  This reboot shouldn't have had to happen.  Especially so close to the conclusion of Raimi's.  The Amazing Spider-Man isn't awesome, isn't mind blowing, or even eye candy.  But it isn't Raimi's spin, and so, at least worth the watch. I give this one an A for effort and a Bad for The Basement review rating.

...And tip:  Wash your mind of the Raimi versions before seeing this one.  That helps.  I used bleach. haha.

Comments

  1. I liked it, good chemistry between all the characters. They were likeable. Storyline was interesting and bad guy was formidable. Nice summer movie. I am looking forward to PARANORMAN and The Lords Of Salem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the comment Daph. I haven't seen it, but will eventually. Dark Knight Rises is next on my list! - J

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!