Skip to main content

Jason reviews The Grey

More than just an adventure film, Joe Carnahan's The Grey is a study on the bond between men, life, and the things that are most important to us. Great, I took a surprisingly thrilling man-versus-nature story and made it sound boring. Well done, Jay!

After their plane crashes in Alaska, six oil workers are led to survival by a skilled huntsman, but a pack of merciless wolves haunts their every step. Fortunately for the men, they have current reigning bad ass Liam Neeson as said huntsman, and he knows a thing or two about wolves.

I didn't dig The Grey as much as I thought I would. It's decent, don't get me wrong, with some seriously intense sequences. The wolf attacks play like Jaws on land, with one freaky and violent encounter after another. There's also one particularly exciting attempt to escape off the side of a cliff that had my heart in my throat. 

Too bad the stuff in between gets stale before the movie plays out. I like drama and philosophy, and dig character beats, but there's too much of that. Maybe, if the film had been trimmed, these scenes wouldn't have felt so repetitive. They slow an otherwise exciting flick down.

Don't get me wrong; this is a good movie. But it's one I won't visit again. A Bad for The Grey from me.

Comments

  1. I thought this movie was lacking something as well. All I could think of at the end was, "That's it?! The end??" I was a little bored by it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently Carnahan shot an ending showing Neeson's fight with the wolf but never intended to show it. It is a special feature somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!