Skip to main content

Shawn, Steven Seagal and Triple Threat Sunday!

So Jason and I love to make fun of Steven Seagal.  Dude made some bitchin' B movies in the 80s and 90s only to never return to his true form. Sadface.

It got to the point where he even stopped doing a lot of his own fighting. In some movies, a fighting double, (who Jason and I hope to speak with this coming season) can clearly be seen.

Do I watch his movies to see a body double do his fight scenes?  No, I do not.  I watch Steven Seagal movies to watch Seagal spiral fracture arms and perform small circle throws and disgusting joint manipulations. Basically, to fuck people up! He isn't the greatest actor so I watch strictly for his mastery in Aikido.

This past Sunday, I hit up Netflix and took in a triple threat of Seagal's newerish un-seen-to-me stuff.  And one I had.

Ticker (2001):  Stars Dennis Hopper (playing a mad bomber) and Tom Sizemore, who has been in some phenomenal movies, as the "main" character. Seagal is secondary but  ... insert mysterious background martial arts expert here. Not much martial arts. Bad. Hopper saved this one from an Ugly.

The Keeper (2009): Where Seagal is a cop, but also a ... insert mysterious alphabet organization background. He's also a martial arts expert here. Seagal is hired by an old friend to watch said friends' daughter. Didn't mind this one, but still a Bad.

 And finally, I watched Marked For Death (1990) again. Seagal takes on Jamaican drug dealing voodooers. Haha! Awesome. And a Good.

I also took in a documentary about Seagal's extensive training and teaching in Aikido.

As a martial arts practitioner all my life, it is hard not to respect the man.  Even though we make fun of him now, as many others too, he is still The Man, albeit a whole bunch more of a man, but The Man nonetheless.  He revitalized all of the martial arts movies you've seen from the 80's and inspired a whole bunch of them since. With some help from Chuck Norris, of course.

My nickname in high school was Seagal.  I have it on the sleeve of my grad jacket, which means I'll likely watch every Seagal movie that comes out until he's dead. There are still a few I haven't seen, and no matter how much they suck, I'll still suffer through knowing my hero, Fat Seagal is in them. Haha!

Comments

  1. Yea, you're not going to get much else these days besides Fat Seagal. Honestly, I haven't seen any of his straight to video crap. I believe that last Seagal movie I watched was the one with Ja Rule in the prison. I remember nothing about it except a helicopter crashing inside the prison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason here. My last one was with DMX, and it was OK. He had yet to develop his passion for spaghetti either, I do believe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must not forget that he was in Machete... That marriage of Fat Seagal and Rodriguez was actually pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn Here. @ Dusan..yeah. It was pretty cool. Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you liked those than you'll love this new commercial: http://youtu.be/4hUDUU2GD6I

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!