Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and Harry Brown

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Jason: The weakest effort from director Edgar Wright, who won geek's hearts with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. But even weak Edgar Wright is better than the average Hollywood hack. The movie is full of 80s video game and comic book references that will delight any nerd's heart, but the story is razor thin and the characters for the most part unlikeable. That said, funny is funny and once I locked into Scott Pilgrim's world I was laughing my ass off. Not a movie for everyone, but those who will like it should like it a lot. I did, and it rates a Good for it.

Shawn: A gamer geeks wet dream of Easter eggs. Or should I call them geekster eggs? Really, if you are a gamer geek, comic book geek or any other kind of geek then this movie caters to you. Being in love with the martial arts myself, there were some awesome fights for my eyes to feast on. Take away all that, and there's not much left. And the plot is terrible. That's right, I mentioned the plot. Scott Pilgrim is worth a watch, but I doubt it's one I will see more than once, so it gets a Bad from me.

Harry Brown

Jason: One of the best movies of the year featuring a powerful performance by Michael Caine, who balances ferocity and frailty throughout. The film is a button pusher, making one feel sad. angry and vengeful, often all at once. The first two minutes are among the harrowing ever put on film. What follows is somber and emotionally jarring. When Brown turns to vengeance, the film becomes about a man who has nothing to lose and the results will make you want to cheer for joy and cover your mouth with shock. Harry Brown offers no easy answers, but it does satisfy one's brain and bloodlust all at once. It's a Good for sure. I wish we had a rating for Great.

Shawn: This movie gets into your psyche. It portrays elements of gang violence and youth gone wrong that are far too real. The crimes committed in this movie against the seniors and other residents happen to people every day. When Harry Brown steps forward to do something about it, you want him to succeed because the world needs someone like this. Michael Caine is awesome and he exacts his revenge as a 70 something ex-marine would: slowly, shakily, but with precision. There is so much I could say about how great this movie is, but all I can rate it is a Good. One of the best of the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!