Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review: The Joneses and Four Lions


The Joneses

Jason:

The Joneses has a lot to say about consumerism, the economic crisis and people's willingness to go into debt to achieve the American dream. However, what good intentions co-writer/director Derrick Borte had for his film are shattered by a storyline that refuses to break free of the shackles set by mainstream Hollywood. David Duchovny is still a fun screen presence and Demi Moore is looking great at 47, but I didn't buy their romance one bit. And spare me the warm, fuzzy happy ending. This could have been a good movie, but instead it rates a Bad.

Shawn:

Hello X-Files and G.I .Jane, long time no see.  This was the best you could get? I get it. Keep up with the Joneses. But even the Joneses are fucked up. The chemistry was terrible between Demi and Duchovny.  I know the relationship was supposed to be awkward, but the performances seemed just a little too rough around the edges. And salespeople with consciences? Please. I guess I'll have to wait for karma to come around and reward me for my hour and a half lost. This is Ugly through and through. 



Four Lions

Jason:

I so wish I could write a review for this movie that would do it justice. Instead, all I can say is SEE IT! This is one of the best and funniest independent comedies to come down the pipe in a long, long time. The film is emotionally engaging without being sappy, slapstick without being silly. And it has some of the best, most quotable lines of any film since Black Dynamite. Did I mention you need to see it? SEE IT! One to own and watch again and again. A Good review from me.

Shawn:

Trailer Park Boys meets Hezbollah.  But a movie about British Muslims is quite a bit funnier. This movie was hilarious.  I found myself hoping that they actually succeeded.  Sick yes, but I haven't watched a good black comedy in a long time. Well done, well casted and funnier than shit!  Did I mention, it was actually funny? This rates a Good, even though one sheep was blown up in the making of this movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!