Skip to main content

#52BottlesOfBeer 45: Townsite Brewing Perfect Storm Oatmeal Stout

 

November is upon us!  The weather starts to get a bit colder snow threatens us from the hills... and Winter is coming!

So what shall I do to help ease the passing of Halloween, and prepare for the dark snowy nights ahead?  Well, I'm going to enjoy eating and drinking some oatmeal of course!

Yes, you read that right: drink some oatmeal.

But before I elaborate on that, allow me to indulge in a look at the label.  Sorry, but this isn't instant oatmeal we're talking about.  Regular oatmeal takes a bit of time to prepare, and enjoy- just like a good stout.

I find this label to be quite fascinating, actually.  I love the darker greys and blues of the tornado, sky, and tidal wave- and how it contrasts with the striking crimson of the building.  I especially love how it looks almost comic bookish in nature.  To be honest, I could almost imagine the Quaker Oats guy fleeing from the building and running like they're in a "Godzilla" movie...

Townsite Brewing's Perfect Storm has a deep, and rich brown colour to it that tells you that it's got the same sort of fullness to it that oatmeal has.  I loved that the head of foam- which it holds fairly well is a stormy, though lighter brown colour, rather than a creamy one.  It's almost like whitecaps on a rough lake.

The first sip definitely let you know that oatmeal was an ingredient.  Not that I'm complaining, since I do enjoy eating oatmeal.  It has a very filling, soothing, winter morning feeling to it.  You get that relaxing taste of oatmeal in the morning, and the kick of the stout in a wonderful blend.  Each sip was slightly different.  Sometimes it was more oatmealy, while other times that flavour was more of a subtle undertone.  It was quite a pleasant experience, I found.

As I sipped away, my mind drifted off to memories of my Dad preparing oatmeal on the weekends when I was a kid: the blending of soft and rough textures, the warmth of it, the taste as it mixed with brown sugar, the soothing ritual of sitting down in the dark morning to get my day off to a healthy and tasty start before trekking out to tackle Elementary School.

Those are fond memories, and Townsite Brewing's Perfect Storm was a fond experience within the storm that is so far 2020.  A Good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!