There was a time when I considered Sam Raimi's
Darkman the greatest movie ever made. Yup,
the greatest movie ever made!
Obviously, I got over it...
But having recently rewatched the movie, I
maintain it's probably the best comic-book movie ever
made, especially considering it's not based on a
pre-existing comic. But Raimi and company got the
mood, tone and pacing right. The movie is serious,
but not too serious. Dark, but not too dark. It's
violent, but so over-the-top that it captures the
action found in comic books.
When first released, some complained Liam
Neeson's performance was too overwrought. But,
given the context of the character -- who feels
emotions unchecked -- it makes sense. And he's a
total badass here, being one part Phantom of the
Opera and one part Dark Avenger a la Batman. And
I believed his relationship with Francis
McDormand, in a rare "Babe" roll. I rooted for
them, and found them likeable.
As for the villains? Colin Friels and Larry Drake
own their bad-guy rolls. In fact, everyone GETS
what this movie is supposed to be. They have fun
with the parts, play up the melodrama, and let
the story speak for itself.
And we can't wrap things up without discussing
the film's main set piece; the warehouse
fight/helicopter chase. More things blow up here
than in most movies of the era, and I'm not entirely
sure how they pulled off Neeson dangling from a rope
beneath the helicopter as it roared through downtown
Los Angeles, but damn... it holds up well today!
Darkman might not be the best movie ever made, and
it's not in my Top 10, but I still love it. It's a
Good through and through.
Comments
Post a Comment