Skip to main content

From Page to Screen: Odd Thomas

I was, for a time, quite a fan of Dean R. Koontz's Odd Thomas books. The stories, which focus on a wisecracking medium who's also a fry cook, are a fun -- and sometimes tragic -- series of supernatural adventures.

The first book is so good, and demanded to be turned into a feature film or TV pilot, as the character, and his adventures, are definitely franchise material.

Stephen Sommers, he who made The Mummy (1999), Van Helsing and G.I. Joe, directed a big-screen version of the first novel back in 2013... therefor ending any chance of more Odd Thomas movies. This was a case of hiring the wrong man for the job.

What Sommers did right: he cast Anton Yelchin as Odd Thomas. Tragically, Yelchin died a couple of years after this film was completed, but he did a good job as Odd, bringing the right combination of toughness (no one who sees the dead and fights evil can be a pushover) and quirkiness to the part. I liked his performance, and would've enjoyed watching him in the role again.

What Sommers did wrong: pretty much everything else. Now, if you've never read the book, you might enjoy this B-grade supernatural adventure as is. But, tonally, Sommers and his trademark whizz-bang sensibilities don't fit with the source material. That's the only way I can say it. The man who made The Mummy (which I love) wasn't the right choice. A director who could bring more mood, sadness and quirkiness to the tale was needed.

Another point of controversy for me was the casting of Addison Timlin as Odd's girlfriend, Stormy Llewellyn. I don't think Yelchin and Timlin had enough chemistry to believe they're destined to be together forever. And she's almost too hot to be the Stormy I saw in my mind. That being said, I couldn't take my eyes off her...

Ahem.

Anyway, Odd Thomas is a missed opportunity, and I have to give it a Bad. Maybe we'll get a Netflix TV series down the road.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!