Skip to main content

Review: 3 From Hell

Either you dig on Rob Zombie's grindhouse, white-trash sensibilities or you don't. He can be hit and miss for me. I actually liked what he did with Halloween, both the 2007 version and its sequel, but had a hard time getting behind some of his other work (I'm talking about YOU, Lords of Salem!).

Hence I went into 3 From Hell with a little trepidation. I appreciate House of 1000 Corpses for what it is, but got a lot more enjoyment out of The Devil's Rejects. Taking the sadistic villains from one movie, and essentially making them the sadistic "heroes" of another was a ballsy move, and Zombie made it work.

Thankfully what worked in The Devil's Rejects still works 14 years later with 3 From Hell. Yes, Otis, Baby, Captain Spaulding and newcomer Winslow Foxworth Coltrane are horrible people, and do horrible things to other people, but I found myself rooting for them by the end. Bill Moseley summed it up best during my interview with him; there's a part of us that wants to do the things these people do, and I agree. Watching that play out on film is oddly cathartic.

My therapist is going to have a field day with that statement.

On a purely entertainment level, we get shootings, stabbings, boat loads of profanity and boobies, and some dark, but very funny, comedy. All done in Zombie's 70's Grindhouse style. The cast is fine, and works well together, and it's clear Zombie loves these characters. It shows in every frame.

I encourage peeps to check this one out. You can get tickets online at FathomEvents.com/3FromHell! Shawn and I give it a Good, and say it's worth your time and hard-earned dollar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!