Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn versus When the Lights Went Out and American Mary

When the Lights Went Out

Jason: This movie really had me up until the retarded, CGI-infested ending. Until then, When the Lights Went Out is a creepy, old-school haunted house story with three or four shorts shitting moments and some solid performance. Then poohville. Don't get me wrong; I did enjoy a lot of this flick. The paranormal sequences are genuinely creepy and unsettling. Ghost turning up in bed? Creepy. Menacing shape in the cellar? Creepy. I don't think I'll ever look at a swaying lamp the same way again. Had the conclusion been stronger, and more in line with the rest of the movie, then When the Lights Went Out would have rated a Good. As it is, it's a Bad. If you dig this kind of thing, give it a watch. It's an OK one-off.

Shawn: I was uninterested in this movie from the start. The era, the language, the setting. But 10 minutes in, shorts shat. Nice. The whole movie didn't feel like it should have done, what it did to me. It surprised the hell out of me, by changing my definition of a haunted house. Erasing any cliched thoughts of what a haunted house was supposed to look like. It wowed me with a few moments, where my "understanding" of the paranormal, was stretched. Finally, it made me think: "This is why I love watching movies!" Too bad the ending was cheesy and out of place. That does knock it into the Bad. Was it based on true events? Haha.

American Mary

Jason: A lot of pressure has been put on American Mary by us Basementites as the film has earned accolades on the film festival circuit but not been screened in The Basement until now. And we interviewed Jen and Sylvia Soska back in their Dead Hooker in a Trunk days when American Mary was still in the editing bay. So does the movie live up to its hype? Yes and no. Truth is, I'm left a bit cold by the movie yet really dug it at the same time. On the one hand it's a titch too long. On the other, I was fascinated by it. It's gruesome, but not a straight-up horror movie. It's funny, but not really a comedy. And it's jet black serious, but not a drama. This is an intelligent, darkly funny and often disturbing movie. It's well acted, with Katherine Isabelle -- who was so good in Ginger Snaps -- holding the film together. I could go on, but suffice to say this is a solid effort from our favourite raunchy broads. I'm giving it a Good, would highly recommend it for Basement Dwellers and even serious moviegoers, and will watch it again.

Shawn: Not even close to what I was expecting. I was entirely blown away by everything that I saw, that transpired in this flick. The Twisted Twins have come a very long way since last I watched one of their flicks. And I dug them then.... This movie had everything, and it wasn't a horror, but what was it? I'm still trying to hash out my thoughts on what it was, but that isn't important. I dug it. From beginning to end. It was interesting, eerie, funny, strange and satisfying. I will gladly watch anything these ladies put out. Good from me.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. No more siskel or Ebert. are you guys the future? do you only do crappy movies? your reviews are good tho. Entertaind
    jared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jared! We certainly hope we are the future :) We stick with B-movies for the most part, yes. But touch on mainstream stuff from time to time! Stop back often bro - Jason

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!