Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn versus Branded and John Dies at the End

Branded

Shawn:  I don't know if my time was wasted here or not! I dislike movies that COULD be explained away through mental disorders or drug induced paranoia at the end. Not because they may not have been good, but because I don't want to watch a movie that was a waste of my fucking time after enjoying it. Ha ha.

I don't know where I stand on this. It was a real ride, but strange indeed. It did look great, I got the message, but don't really understand the purpose of the film.

It definitely isn't Ugly, but I also struggle to find the Good. So I'm going to leave it at a Bad, because I won't watch it again. Not even to attempt to sort it out.

Jason: Shawn and I have complained at length about the lack of original material coming out of Hollywood these days. Then along come Branded and John Dies at the End to prove us wrong.

Wait, neither was made by a Hollywood studio? Never mind then.

I didn't really care much for the characters in Branded. Ed Stoppard is kind of shallow and callous and, although he comes around in the end, using his evil marketing powers for good, I didn't give two shits about him.

Ditto Leelee Sobieski. She's smoking hot, and more likable then Stoppard, but I didn't care about her either. Actually, I didn't like anyone in this movie. Hence it's a pretty vapid experience for me no matter what I think about the evils of advertising.

Branded has a lot to say, and I agree with most of its message. But, in the end, I didn't give enough of a shit to be fully engaged by it. It's an interesting movie, if not a little too long and sluggishly paced, but I can't give it any more than a Bad. A fine watch once, but no more.

John Dies at the End

Shawn: Good grief. Another drug-induced film. This was a lot more stable, though, than Branded. Had a better story, and was way more entertaining.

I dug this quite a bit. I'll likely watch the fucker again. I would also watch more of these, if they were to make more.

Not too much else to say. Likely an instant classic. It might take a few years to filter through the sheeple to cultify it. That is why we are here: cutting through the sheepleheaded corporations. A Good from me.

Jason: This is hands down one of the most batshit crazy movies I've ever seen. That needs to be said right away. A meat monster? A drug called Soy Sauce that let's you see an alternate reality? Invaders from another dimension? And the only thing that can save us are two college dropouts and Clancy Brown?

Weird. Yes John Dies at the End is also highly entertaining, funny as fuck and full of moments of gruesome, yet bizarre, violence. I liked it a lot!

Credit has to go to writer/director Don Coscarelli, who adapted Jason Pargin's book of the same name. He handles it all in a very dry, matter-of-fact way that makes everything even funnier.

Truth is, I wanted to see more of the adventures of Dan and John. And everything is left open for a sequel, so why not? I'm giving John Dies at the End a Good, and suggest everyone see it as soon as possible.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!