I don't know if you can make it out in the picture above, but FEAR.net hit the nail on the head when it comes to describing Tim Lebbon's apocalyptic thriller Coldbrook; this is first-rate storytelling right here!
Lebbon does something I didn't think was possible in this end-of-the-world tale -- he makes zombies interesting again. How so? Ready for the spoiler? OK, I warned you: this zombie apocalypse busts into our world from another dimension, and the zombies are slowly infecting dimension after dimension... threatening all realities.
Cool, right!
Not only is the idea super groovy, but Lebbon writes like a man possessed. This story moves so fast, and is so relentless, it demands to be read in as few sittings as possible. I took down all 494 pages in a day and a half, pandemic be damned! This is literally the kind of book where, once it gets going, it moves like runaway train.
Characters? There's lots of them, with three or four interconnected stories going on, and all of them are interesting. I can't say that about many books. Usually I'm into maybe one or two characters, and speed read the chapters that focus on the boring people. That didn't happen here. I was invested in all of them.
We're in the thick of this COVID-19 business, and movies about plagues are all the rage right now. If you want to read a book about the end of the world, this is it. It's a Good!
Lebbon does something I didn't think was possible in this end-of-the-world tale -- he makes zombies interesting again. How so? Ready for the spoiler? OK, I warned you: this zombie apocalypse busts into our world from another dimension, and the zombies are slowly infecting dimension after dimension... threatening all realities.
Cool, right!
Not only is the idea super groovy, but Lebbon writes like a man possessed. This story moves so fast, and is so relentless, it demands to be read in as few sittings as possible. I took down all 494 pages in a day and a half, pandemic be damned! This is literally the kind of book where, once it gets going, it moves like runaway train.
Characters? There's lots of them, with three or four interconnected stories going on, and all of them are interesting. I can't say that about many books. Usually I'm into maybe one or two characters, and speed read the chapters that focus on the boring people. That didn't happen here. I was invested in all of them.
We're in the thick of this COVID-19 business, and movies about plagues are all the rage right now. If you want to read a book about the end of the world, this is it. It's a Good!
Comments
Post a Comment