Skip to main content

Why old-school moviemaking is better

This past weekend I had the pleasure of seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark in a movie theatre for the first time in 38 years. And I watched it in the exact cinema where I saw it as a nine-year-old boy. It was a wonderful nostalgia trip, and a great opportunity to catch one of my favourites on the big screen.

It was during the famous truck chase, where Indiana Jones crawls beneath a moving vehicle, that I was struck with a sense of wonder: what I was watching was real! That was Harrison Ford, and a stuntman, on the front of a moving vehicle, then sliding/crawling beneath it. No computer-aided effects; just real people risking it all to make a movie.

There are special effects in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but a large part of it is old-fashioned moviemaking and stunt work. As was also the case with classics like Lethal Weapon, The Terminator and it's brilliant sequel, and countless others.

Watching the faces of moviegoers as they lapped up Raiders (many were too young to have seen it in a theatre before) was almost as much fun as watching the film. At that point I realized something; I never see that look on moviegoers' faces anymore.

Sure, the Marvel movies and other blockbusters have photo-realistic effects that allow filmmakers to do whatever they want, but we know how they do it -- in a computer. It looks neat, but there's nothing at stake for the audience. The wonder is gone. The knowledge real people are making the movie, on real sets and locations, doesn't exist a lot of the time.

When that semi crashed into an aqueduct in Terminator 2, it was real. When Mel Gibson and Gary Busey duked it out at the end of Lethal Weapon, it took four nights to film and the actors did their own fight choreography. When Matthius Hues ran on top of a bunch of exploding cars and jumped out a window in I Come in Peace, he really ran across a bunch of exploding cars and jumped out a window.

I was invested as a moviegoer during each and every one of those scenes because it was as real as the filmmaker could make it. Not so much today, and I know myself, and many others, don't feel as connected to what they're watching anymore. We enjoy the show, and maintain a love of movies, but something is missing, and that's the old-school moviemaking.

We'll never see this style of filmmaking again, at least from Hollywood. Thank goodness we'll always have these classic movies though, and people like the Kamloops Film Society to show them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!