Skip to main content

Marcus Flor reviews Apostle

I've wondered what the director of The Raid series, Gareth Evans, has been up to after he'd made two excellent action films...

This lead me to check out his 2018 Netflix original movie Apostle.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the religious, 1905-set horror film, but I was curious. I went in with mixed expectations, and it turned out to be quite a "mixed" experience.

It started off fairly strong, creating a subtle, but tense, mystery around Thomas Richardson (Dan Stevens) as he infiltrates a cult holding his sister for ransom on some far-off island. As he sneaks his way onto the island, we get brought into its strange world.

We see twisted traditions, its oppressive leadership, and we event get a glimpse at the supernatural secret beneath it all. this is also happening while the cult leaders begin to suspect Thomas, and are hunting him. the tone has been set, I'm invested, let's see where this rabbit hole takes us.

That brings us to Act 2. I wasn't sure at first, but something felt off once I hit this part of the movie. It felt less like a story building on its own momentum, and more like a leisurely stroll from scene to scene. The film stopped following its mystery, and Thomas no longer had much to do. We do get some slight development of the character, but it happens more slowly than before. By the mid-point I was getting more and more disappointed by what I was watching.

"Maybe,"I thought," Gareth Evans will do what he's known for at the end, and will fill the last act with brutal, bloody action."

That's sort of what I got.

And that leaves is with Act 3. Suddenly the movie remembers its supposed to be really intense at this point and shit finally hits the fan. People are killed, religious torture is had, and we more or less see the "goddess" these people have been worshipping.

However, this all just suddenly pops up with very little build up. That makes it all feel hollow. they don't even explain the supernatural elements, almost like they forgot they had to. It felt like the movie lost track of all the threads of its story, and haphazardly tried to piece it together at the end.

All in all, I'm left saddened by Apostle. It really did have some promise. I feel a few more drafts of the script, and more time in development, would have helped tremendously. A mediocre movie with decent moments, so it's a Bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!