Skip to main content

Review: Altered

Altered is a rare bird for us in The Basement. It's a movie Shawn and I have both seen, and even discussed on the show, but never formally reviewed. That being said, it's been out for a while, but not long enough to be considered a Retro Review.

So I said "fuck it," as I'm want to do, and decided to write something up anyway. Because we can do whatever the fuck we want here in The Basement.

Altered is director Eduardo Sanchez's follow up to The Blair Witch Project. Yup, this motherfucker (and I say that with the utmost respect) waited seven years to make another movie, after the groundbreaking success of his debut. I'd say that was a smart move, as he shows here just how many chops he has as a filmmaker.

This is a pretty accomplished piece of low-budget genre filmmaking. Gone is the found footage, and in its place we have a tightly wound and claustrophobic tale of a close encounter with a very unfriendly E.T.

There's scares, gore and a consistent sense of dread that reminded me of Ridley Scott's Alien. Yup, I went there. I'd say Altered ranks right up there with that classic when it comes to movies about aliens. It's that good, and that well done, only in a different way.

Casting? Sanchez fills the film with relative newcomers, at least for 2006, but they're all good. I'd actually like to see more from Adam Kaufman, Catherine Mangan, Brad William Henke and Michael C. Williams. Each brings a sense of desperation and paranoia that works in the film's favour.

Mangan is in one of the movie's most effective sequences, as she's tied to a bed while being menaced by the alien, who has pretty much gutted (spoiler alert) one of the other cast members. It's wild stuff.

If you haven't caught up with Altered, I'd suggest doing so right away. It's one of the hidden gems Shawn and I love to talk about on our show, and a Good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!