Skip to main content

Halloween Day By Day: Rosewood Lane (2011)


As much as I love slasher horror movies, I still find time to enjoy the more subtle suspenseful psychological horror movies.  I recently took a visit to "Rosewood Lane"...

Dr. Sonny Blake returns to her childhood home in Rosewood Lane after her alcoholic father dies.  Her arrival attracts the attention of the local newspaper deliverer, who offers her a free subscription.

Her refusal begins a dark game of cat and mouse that can only end with one of them dead...

There are some things I liked about this movie, and some I didn't.

The main storyline was a little choppy and to be honest, kinda weak.  Nothing about it really hooked me.  And the big reveal left me more "Meh," than "OMG!".

While there are some great, tense, and eerie scenes, the non-scary ones were rather tepid emotionally. I found it hard to feel invested.  This could be due to the characters in general, since we're not really given much of a reason to actually like- and care about them.  I liked Sonny- played nicely by Rose McGowan, but not enough to be emotionally gripped by what was happening around her.  The boyfriend was a bit of a jerk, and the rest weren't really developed... as if they were there just to provide grist for the mill.

There was some great camera work in this film, though- complimented with great editing to create a real creepy mood, and tense story pacing.  I really found myself enjoying that aspect of it.

Unfortunately, when all is said and done, "Rosewood Lane" wasn't all that satisfying to me.  I'm going to have to put it in "The Ugly".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!