Skip to main content

Review: Kill Command

It's been a while since I watched myself a decent B-movie. A good, long while. But, when the robots vs. marines flick Kill Command -- which we previously wrote about here -- crossed my VOD screen, I jumped at the opportunity.

I mean, come on: robots vs. marines? What's not to like!?!

Fortunately, there's a lot to like in Steven Gomez's ode to the works of James Cameron. Even if it's not an ode, it's hard not to watch a movie like this and not think of Cameron's work. I'm pretty sure Gomez knew this when he penned and directed this flick, as there's nothing new going on here, which isn't a bad thing with a movie like this. I went into Kill Command wanting to see cool robots shoot the hell out of army folk, and that's what I got.

Gomez does it with style too, as the final product transcends its low budget and looks almost as slick as a big, Hollywood production. Sure, some the the CGI isn't quite up to snuff, but enough of it works -- and the machines truly bad ass -- that I didn't care too much.

If I had a complaint, it's that Gomez fails to generate any real excitement. Not to say Kill Command is boring, but the action scenes could've been amped up, and the opportunities for suspense milked more. Sure, the finale is awesome, but I'd of liked more intensity throughout. But hey, that's how I roll.

Is Kill Command worth the watch? Yeah, for shizzle. I'd probably even watch it again, as it's solid Friday or Saturday night viewing.

PS: the computer eyes Vanessa Kirby sports are the coolest thing this side Riddick's surgical shine job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!