Skip to main content

Sunday Night at the Movies: Return of the Living Dead Part 2

Sunday Night at the Movies is a tradition from my youth. Growing up, most of the local TV stations had a Sunday Night at the Movies feature every week, broadcasting everything from old James Bond flicks to the TV debuts of big theatrical releases.

Sunday Night at the Movies is how I came to love the Bond and Clint Eastwood movies, and first saw classics like 2001: A Space Odyssey and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It was fucking awesome, and I got to stay up late!

When The Basement went on hiatus, I caught myself revisiting several of my old favourites, and some flicks I'd never seen before, on Sunday nights. This became my preferred way to put a cap in the weekend and ready myself for the week ahead. Now that we're back, I figure it wouldn't hurt to jot down a few thoughts on whatever movie I kicked back with on Sunday night.

Tonight's feature presentation was Return of the Living Dead Part 2, and -- surprise! -- I'd never seen it until tonight. Was it worth the wait? Yes. Why? Stick with me!

OK, this flick was made in the heyday of 80s horror movies. Meaning it's a lot of fun. None of these flicks took themselves too seriously. There's as much to laugh at in Return of the Living Dead Part 2 as there is to get grossed out about. The practical effects are plentiful, and among the best I've ever seen. Wanna see a zombie get blown in half by a shotgun and then watch the legs walk around? This is the movie for you!

Also, I was reminded how much I loved the jean miniskirt. Suzanne Snyder, I thank you!

I'm also reminded how much 80s horror was kid focused. Filmmakers knew their target audience, and catered to it. A dude couldn't make a movie like this now, because young children are put in jeopardy throughout Return of the Living Dead Part 2. Try it today, and you might as well shoot a lion. Back in the 80s, everyone knew kids were sneaking into these movies and cast accordingly. It's a refreshing change of pace, and adds a level of excitement to the finished product.

Return of the Living Dead Part 2 isn't a classic, but I had a blast watching it. This is the kind of entertainment you set your brain to stun for, crack a couple of cold ones, and enjoy. There's far worse ways to cap off a weekend. Check it out if you haven't already.

And yes, there's even a great Michael Jackson gag tossed in for good measure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!