Skip to main content

Jason versus Sabotage

There was a time when Arnold Schwarzenegger was king. His movies raked in serious box office. He was idolized by fans. The man could do not wrong. Then he became governor, got old, and has largely been dismissed by modern audiences upon his return to the big screen.

That's because modern audiences are morons.

Members of an elite DEA task force find themselves being taken down one by one after they rob a drug cartel safe house.

Granted, Sabotage isn't a return to the heyday of Schwarzenegger movies past. But it's a fuck of a lot better and more entertaining than most of the watered down garbage Hollywood cranks out on a weekly basis. You can keep your CGI apes on horseback. I'll take the gritty, morally ambiguous action that is Sabotage any day.

Did I say morally ambiguous? Yes I did. There are no good guys in Sabotage, just people. Flawed, fucked up people of the variety all of us know. No one is good or bad. They just are. And we get that so rarely these days. There's no one to root for in this flick, but I'd party and swap war stories with any one of the characters. Don't get to say that about most movies I watch these days.

And the action. Wow. The violence is about as realistic as you'll ever see. Bullets blow holes through people and innocent bystanders get caught in the crossfire. I eat shit like this for breakfast! I'm not surprised this movie bombed. Modern moviegoers can't handle this sort of thing. Well, they can keep their sugar-coated reality. The world needs more movies like this.

I've heard there's a three-hour cut of Sabotage out there. I'd love to see it, as this version feels like a whole lot is missing. What's here is bad ass, and I'd highly recommend it to Basementites who like their action flicks gritty and exploitive.

And yes, Ah-nold gets to do more of his aging action hero thing. The man is awesome. 'Nuff said.

Sabotage isn't for everyone, but those who dig it should give it a Good. I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!