Skip to main content

Matt Bellamy versus How To Train Your Dragon 2

I really do wonder how kids' minds are affected by the impressive state of animation these days. I was raised on classic, hand-drawn Disney animation, which to my young brain was a fantastic world that I was always keen to disappear into.

When I see a movie like How To Train Your Dragon 2 in theaters, I am absolutely blown away, and even overwhelmed at times by the stunning, and let's be honest, brilliant technical wizardry on display. I can't even fathom how these images are made, how long it must take to complete a single frame, or the army of amazingly talented people who work around the clock getting it all done--it's mind boggling! The kids these days who are now being raised on movies like this though, do you think they even realize how special these films are? Again, from a purely technical standpoint, the entertainment being released for today's youth is spectacular, and I hope they appreciate it.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 is one of the most gorgeous films I have ever seen, and luckily it's not all on the surface either as top to bottom this is a giant achievement for DreamWorks Animation.

The story picks up a few years after the events of the original film as the Viking village of Berk has now accepted dragons into their daily lifestyle, and live in peace with these majestic, and sometimes clumsy beasts. Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) has adjusted to his handicap which was dealt to him in the first movie, and his relationship with Astrid (America Ferrera) has only deepened and matured however it's his relationship with his dragon, Toothless, that is most important to him. Toothless is an extremely rare breed of dragon called a Night Fury, capable of incredible speed, and although the name of his breed makes him sound ferocious, he's really more like a puppy dog except with a far larger, and dangerous tail to happily wag.

Hiccup's burly father, and village chief, Stoick (Gerard Butler) would be perfectly content if his son would settle down with Astrid, father some children, take over as chief some day, and take part in the odd dragon game here and there but Hiccup has come a long way since the events of the first movie, and he seeks a life of adventure, and exploration. Now that the inhabitants of Berk have made friends with the dragons, and have mastered, for the most part, Viking flight, it's much easier to map out the world around them, and to visit previously unseen lands. I don't want to spoil further plot points, or developments so I'll just say that Hiccup discovers something, and someone that dramatically alters the course of the film, and the characters within--you'll just have to go off that!

What's refreshing about a movie like How To Train Your Dragon 2 is that it does not seem interested in franchise building which, when it comes to "sequelitis" these days, that's all we see. There are no hints of what might come down the road, there are no mysterious characters pulling strings in the background only to have their intentions revealed at the very end, to be explored in future instalments. No, this is an entirely self-contained movie that serves to advance the characters, and their growth, while also telling a heck of an entertaining story. I really wish more series' of movies could understand this, instead of teasing us with red herring, after red herring--that's the business of Hollywood though, give 'em a taste, and keep them coming back for more. That may be a cynical way of looking at things but in an age where it seems like every weekend there is either a sequel, a prequel, or a remake being released, it sure is exciting to see a film of one of those types actually deliver in a huge way without resorting to reminding you of its franchise roots!

There aren't exactly a glut of family-friendly films that get reviewed in The Basement so if you're a parent wondering if this is an OK film for your kids, I'd say that it would have to depends on the ages of your kids. This is not an animated comedy in the vein of Despicable Me, there are some funny moments of slapstick here and there but this is more of a full on adventure flick that happens to be gorgeously animated. Characters exhibit realistic emotions, the story goes to dark places, and there is death--quite a bit of death, actually. If you feel like your kids can handle themes like that, and are prepared for it then I can't see them not loving the heck out of this movie. If these 'Dragon' movies were released when I was a young'un I would have flipped for them, and probably somehow worn out whatever format I was watching them on at home. Remember the days of wearing out VHS tapes?? Good times...

I know it's not cheap to take the family out to the movies but this is worth it, and the 3D is spectacular. And if you're a big kid like I am who still enjoys watching animated movies, or is simply a fan of Vikings, and adventure movies? This is one not to miss. I own the first on Blu Ray, and this will stand right next to it when it's released. A Good!

Comments

  1. Is this Matt Bellamy as in the frontman of Muse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt is a big kid! He is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it the name of one of the DJs at that radio station...?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!