Skip to main content

Jason versus Visiting Hours

I vaguely remember the TV ads for Visiting Hours when I was a 10-year-old boy, and was totally creeped out by them. Surprise! The movie is now on Netflix, so I finally got to face my fears. Is this 1982 slasher flick are scary as the commercials let on? Stick with me!

A crazed, women-hating killer attacks journalist Deborah Ballin. When he discovers that his attack didn't kill Deborah, he comes to the hospital to finish what he started.

Actually, there's a lot more to this flick than that, which is what makes Visiting Hours all the more entertaining. I don't usually like movies where I get to know the killer as well as the victim, but this flick does that, and does it well. And they cast veteran heavy Michael Ironside as the killer. Smart move!

I also dug Lee Grant's turn as the victim. She's tough yet vulnerable, and she goes out with The Shat -- William Shatner. Good for her! When she finally throws down with Ironside during the final chase sequence, I bought every move she made. Seeing her and Ironside square off is a treat.

Kudos too to Linda Purl's sympathetic nurse. She gets caught up in the whole stalker thing, and a sequence where she's menaced by Ironside in her home is one for the books. The acting, along with Jean-Claude Lord's slick direction, make this horror flick a cut above, if you'll excuse the pun.

You know, I was prepared to give Visiting Hours a Bad. But, as I write this, I gotta give it a Good. Along with The Prowler, this is a hidden horror gem from the 80s.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!