Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn's Top 5 movies to watch on Halloween

Shawn: As the Halloween season approaches...starting about mid September for me...haha...I go through an INSANE amount of horror movies. But there are five that are a "must view" for the season. They aren't necessarily a "Top 5" ...but MUST SEE 5:


(5) I always start with Ghostbusters. A couple of weeks away from Halloween. Just the opening bit is enough to evoke the spirit of Halloween. It is iconic, recognizable and fun. It is also, a "light" start to the season. Who am I kidding, I start in August...haha.

(4) Just because of a tradition I started with one of my boys, Arachnophobia is another light beginning to the festive season of doom, death and scares...haha.

(3) Children of the Corn. What is there to say about this? To me, it is to Halloween as the Rudolf claymation animation is to Christmas! No Joke!

(2) Diving into the nitty gritty of it, The Shining always makes an appearance. Even if I don't watch the whole thing....It is still quite 'festive'. "All work and no play..."

(1) The final "MUST SEE" for me is always going to be The Exorcist. The 1973 version. Hardcore. This says Halloween to me, like Santa says Christmas. Period.

Jason: Shawn's come up with a pretty bad ass list and he, like I, enjoys getting into the Halloween spirit early. But, in an ideal world, once the boy is in bed and I'm allowed to indulge in some Daddy Pops, a horror movie marathon on All Hallow's Eve is the only way to cap off my favourite holiday. What to watch? Check it:

(5) I like to kick things off with the original Halloween II because, if I put it on at the end of the night, I tend to fall asleep or black out before its over. It's an OK watch but, of the 10 or so times I've watched it, I've only seen the ending twice.

(4) The Evil Dead. Not the remake, but the tried and true original. Something about being in the forest, attacked by evil spirits, feels like Halloween to me. And it's unsettling as only a low budget horror flick can be.

(3)  Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street isn't my favourite horror movie, but it's a genre classic that turned the slasher movie on its ear. And Freddy Krueger is an icon as only Robert Englund can play him. A must watch.

(2) Trick 'r Treat is the newest flick to appear on this list, but it's already a classic. Nothing, save for my No. 1 entry, says Halloween to me like this anthology set on the dark holiday. It's funny, spooky, and gave birth to Sam, a character that deserves his own franchise. Surprise! A sequel has bee greenlit!

(1) The one, the only, the original . . . Halloween. John Carpenter's iconic flick is the first movie that really terrified me, and is required viewing on Halloween night. Better people then I have dissected this flick, so all I will say is this gets guaranteed play on Oct. 31.

Happy Halloween from The Basement!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!