Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review The Shadow of Death and Backslasher

The Shadow of Death

Shawn: Like Backslasher this is low budget and British. But with better kills and a cohesively put together, alright story… However, I don’t know how many people can fall in the woods and hit their heads on a rock. I mean, really. Every cast member in this flick was casted by showing how well they could bounce their heads off a rock. That, isn’t good.

That said, there were some cool kills. SOOOPER SPECIAL CONSTABLE. Lol. Delta force 86, hello? Send Chuck Norris!!!!! Haha.

“The Peacemaker”. Trivia: Where is this gem from? Email us at basementreviews@gmail.com and, if you get it right, we'll say your name on the air.

Epic. Good


Jason: In his own words, writer/director Gav Chuckie Steel (great name by the way) made this movie for less money than it cost to go on a vacation and around his work and family's schedule. In that sense, he operates much like we do in The Basement. I respect that.

This is actually a pretty damn good movie, when all is said and done. More than seven people get killed during it's running time, and the deaths are creative and bloody. The three leading ladies are hot AND there's a sense of fun to proceedings. Groovy.

The Shadow of Death isn't perfect. But I had fun with it and would recommend any aspiring filmmaker watch it. And yeah, I'd watch it again, if even to show people that you can make a movie, God damn it! A Good.

Backslasher

Shawn: Thank you for letting us at least see the hot chick’s titties. Briefly. Far too brief to make up for anything else in this movie. I’m not going to be polite just because the director sent us the movie. I’m going to hit it as though I accidentally watched it!

The idea wasn’t original, but may have been doable. But everything else was very VERY ugly. Plot holes, bad acting, bad framing, bad editing….  I could go on and on and on. I didn’t enjoy anything in this movie, save for the boobies. But I can get that ANYWHERE else and not have to endure as bad a storyline.

Thank you for the boobs. Ugly. 

Jason: Backslasher does have one thing working in its favour, one thing that saves it from being a total disaster -- all the actresses are damn hot. And some of them get naked. I'm particularly pleased that we got to see leading lady Eleanor James's boobs. Very nice.

But I digress. This is a terrible, terrible, terrible movie. It's shot on video and you can tell. The sound mix is awful, the camera work questionable and the editing piss poor. I feel bad from writer/director Tim Cowles because there's the seed of a good idea here, but the execution is bunk.

Shawn, Anthony Michael Bosa and I made better movies back in the day with our shitty VHS camera. And they are sitting in a box somewhere. This is getting a DVD release. Shame. An Ugly from me.

Comments

  1. Wow, interesting, in-depth review and analysis. You guys are definitely on the right track in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We prefer to think of ourselves as shallow and easy to please.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!