Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review: Beyond the Grave and Iron Sky

Beyond the Grave

Jason: Take Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, mix in some Night of the Living Dead and toss in a nod or two to The Road Warrior and you've got an idea of what Beyond the Grave is all about.

This flick feels more like a fever dream or nightmare than an actual movie. It holds you at arm's length, never fully letting you engage in it, but gives you enough bizarre and cool shit to hold your interest for the running time.

I found the final five minutes -- when the hero is SPOILER ART possessed by the villain -- especially terrifying. The rest of the movie isn't particularly exciting nor boring. It just is. And I had a hard time figuring out what was going on. Once I did, I enjoyed Beyond the Grave enough to give it a Bad. This isn't a trip I need to take twice.

Shawn: Hey, zombie movie international! Low, low budget international. 

Let me tell you, this was no Horde… It felt like the Road Warrior for approximately 0.9876789 seconds. However, it is almost impossible to screw up a zombie movie, regardless of your budget. If you kill zombies, you get “critic” points. 

The main character in this was my BIGGEST gripe. He was awkward, clumsy and could barely fight. Yet he kept beating up people AND zombies. I thought that if he and the black guy had switched roles, this might have fit better and made more sense. But zombie movie, black cop, bad ass yet mellow..I guess that is why they didn’t.

All and all, there were some bad cuts and it made the movie more confusing than it had to be, but whatever. I’ve seen way worse and way better. I am actually anxious to watch the sequel, just to see what improves.
If you are a zombie fan (from before it was cool and weren’t spoiled by The Walking Dead) then this is something a true fan needs to have in their brain for a watch. Bad.

Iron Sky

Jason: If all Nazis looked as good as Julia Dietze the Allies might have been more willing to negotiate with Hitler during World War 2. She's the best special effect in the movie. Great accent, nice legs . . . Um. Happily married? Yup. But I notice these things.

This movie is a ton of living, breathing proof that escapism goes a long way. Sure, Iron Sky is a sharp satire about America, politics and war, but it's also a fuck of a lot of fun. It's entertaining, isn't ashamed to be entertaining, and emerges as one of the most enjoyable movies I've watched in a long time.

Kudos to to director Timo Vuorensola, who made a $7 million movie look as good as a $100 million Hollywood effort. Shame on you, Hollywood. Shame. This movie kicked your ass! We don't need your pretentious, overblown bullshit!

Some of Iron Sky is pretty gonzo but, for the most part, it's a great ride. And one I want to take again and again. A Good from me.

Shawn: Are you kidding me!?! Holy shit, Nazis from the moon! Lol. In true conspiracy fashion, there is always a side story that can be made into a movie, without offending and reminding of the atrocities that happened.

By that I mean, this movie was along the same lines and Mars Attacks. It was silly, yet serious enough to provide some ridiculous entertainment and special effects! Yeah, that’s right. It’s no Gandhi or On Golden Pond, but at least OUR listeners won't fall asleep and want to blow their brains out by the end. Grab a sense of humor and enjoy this movie, because it is a Good!

Julia Deitze has not only become my favorite hottie actress, but she performed as well as Christoph Waltz did in Inglorious Basterds! In fact, the acting was spot on, the graphics and special effects were eye candy and the story was easily swallowed in a Mars Attacks style, but a tad less silly.

Hate me for loving it. But I did. Good

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!