Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review House of Ghosts

Writer/Director Christopher R. Mihm pays tribute to the works of William Castle, the master of classic horror. Rich socialites have a tradition of throwing exclusive dinner parties. This time, they've booked a spiritual medium who promises to open a portal to the great beyond. Can the group survive the night or will ignoring the medium's warning be the last thing they ever do?  

Jason: I'd like to say if you've seen on Mihm movie you've seen them all. But you really haven't. Although they do tie in nicely when one sits down and watches them all. In fact, House of Ghosts has a big tie-in to The Monster of Phantom Lake. And I dug the shit out of that! There's also a reference to Terror From Beneath the Earth. 

Mihm relies on a lot of stock actors for his work, but its fun seeing them pop up here and there. No Shannon McDonough though. That girl deserves to be in everything he does!

Once again, he's captured the 1950s vibe perfectly. And this is a nice tribute to the work of William Castle. I dug it for what it was, but will adjust for inflation. Back in the 50s, this would have kept me up all night. As it is now, I have to give it a Bad. But keep making movies Christopher R. Mihm! 

Shawn: Welcome to the archives of the Mimniversity of Horror.

We’ve watched enough of these movies already to actually get the jokes about his other movies. Is that a bad thing, or a good thing?  I don’t fucking know anymore. I just know that, for what this guy is doing for that lost style, is wicked if you are into it!

I’m not so much a fan of the style. But of all the Mihmiverse movies I’ve seen, this one was the best. Bang on, really. I still won’t give it a Good. It gets a Bad. But, had I been alive in the 50’s 60’s era that this stuff is supposed to rep, It’d be a Good!

I think of all of them, this really captured the feel, and I even let myself in it a bit, to feel some slight anxiety in a spot or two. So did it’s job as I’ve seen far worse “Bad” categorized movies than this, for sure.

Not gonna really ramble on, as it is a simple haunted/monster house of a movie. Cool. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!