Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review Kill List and I Saw the Devil

Kill List

Jason: This movie ruined my day in the best possible way. I'm still left reeling from it, like I'm punch drunk. Or just drunk. You decide. I can't say I enjoyed this movie, although I know I will watch it again and would recommend it to horror fans in a heartbeat. Yes, it's a horror film. But not in the traditional sense. It's frightening and surreal, but oddly funny and touching too. I'm not quite sure what happened at the end, but I was disturbed by it. I call this brilliant because I really don't know what else to call it. It pulls no punches and pushes your buttons. A harrowing experience, and it's a Good!

Shawn: Here is a really different spin on hitmen. Just dudes, that kill people for money. Dudes with normal problems, normal ..ish lives. I had no idea what to expect from this film, went in blind, knowing it was a small budget. John FALLON recommended tonight’s flicks. So in that sense, I was looking forward to them. This was a tad slower paced, but it was still interesting, uncomfortable and even funny in parts. And it was also brutally violent where it needed to be. The unexpected twist involving the weird cult was fucking cool. And I dug the shit out of the masks. The end of the movie blew my fucking mind. I dug this a lot. I’m going to give it a another watch…and a Good.

I Saw the Devil

Jason: One of the most intense, nasty, frightening and brutal films I've ever seen. Period. Nothing even comes close. It's not torture porn, but it's as harsh as harsh can be. If the “victim” in this movie was anything less than the monster he is, I Saw the Devil would be an abomination. Because he's actually a serial killer who preys on and brutalizes women, what we get, albeit nasty as fuck, is oddly acceptable. How fucked up us that!?! Gotta give this a Good. I don't know if I will watch it a million times, but it's the most brutal kind of art and deserves praise. Wow, what a ride!

Shawn: This is two and a half hours that I was abso-fucking-lutely glued to the screen. I couldn’t take my eyes of this KOREAN made action-horror flick. Not only because it was subtitled, but because it was fucking riveting, gory, people eating people action…every element. Man, was this movie fucked up! I’ll be watching this, likely again and again. Haha. It was another stellar recommendation by The Arrow, and a damn Good in my books. Ridiculous even. The acting, though in Korean, was TOP NOTCH. I was mostly left speechless by the end of this film. There just aren’t enough words to describe the coolness here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!