Skip to main content

Mike S reviews Troll Hunter

Mike S, the creator of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and curator of  The Corner of Terror joined me in The Basement recently for a screening of the Best Flick of 2011 (in my opinion), Troll Hunter. But The S is a biased man, just like Shawn and I, so he might not agree with me on that. What does he think?

Read on . . .
A few months ago Jay and Shawn reviewed the 2010 Norwegian film, "Troll Hunter".  Well, I finally managed to get the chance to sit down and watch it so that I could give you guys my thoughts on this unique film.

And here they are:

I was expecting it to be a rather cheesy movie in the same horrid way that "Leperchaun" was, but since Jay and Shawn enjoyed it, I was anxious to see it.  I was quite pleased with it from start to finish.

The plot is fairly simple and easy to follow: a college film crew wants to document events surrounding strange disappearances and property damage that are reportedly done by bears.  While trying to get a possible poacher to talk, the crew stumble onto something even stranger and far more dangerous... troll hunting.

I found it highly appropriate that a Norwegian film would deal with such a topic, as trolls are more of a Nordic tradition than and English/North American one.  It helped add to the reality of the whole situation that was only enhanced by the CGI work and the acting.

I really enjoyed how the trolls looked the way they've been portrayed in old illustrations with the small, beady eyes, and bulbous noses, etc.  Just fantastic for a monster geek like myself.  The CGI was also used sparingly, which was nice since it didn't distract from the characters involved.

The acting was also pretty decent considering that most of them were unknowns.  Otto Jespersen was great as Hans, the troll hunter, and Thomas Alf Larsen, Johanna Morck, and Glenn Erland Tosterud were believable as college film students as well.  The cast worked well together, and the humourous parts of the movie came naturally.  The way Jespersen delievered some of his lines with such a straight tone was just priceless, and I couldn't help but smile and chuckle.

While the movie isn't, "I can't sleep now, thank you," scary, it does pull you into the story and makes you a little worried about the safety of the characters.  I was quite impressed with how easily "Troll Hunter" made it for me to forget that it was just a movie, and enter the reality presented before me... by the end, I believed in trolls.

Because of that, I'm giving "Troll Hunter" a honoured spot in "The Good," and will be adding it to my collection as soon as I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!