Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review: Attack the Block and Kidnapped

Attack the block

Jason: I'd rather watch a movie with juvenile thugs as the main characters than rich, pretentious white people. I'm talking about YOU Skyline. These are the kinds of people you want protecting the planet: real people who, despite being scared, ACT. They know how to defend themselves and their block. They kick ass. Lots of it. And they're about 15 years old. This is a fucking awesome movie! Gory. Scary aliens. Chases. Some good one liners. A fun ride! Better than most movies of its kind. A Good for me.

Shawn: Aliens attacking a neighborhood in the UK. Your heroes? 15-year-old gang kids. Likely? Probably more likely than Hollywood types could imagine. Why? Rich, pretentious 20 somethings don’t make good heroes. But, tough ghetto kids take their beef to anyone that might infringe on their territory, terrestrial or not. I really dig this movie. It has great chemistry, great acting, is well put together, and there's cool aliens. Done. Stuff blew up. Good.


Kidnapped

Jason: Dude watched this first and told me I would fucking love it. He was right. I did! Where to begin? First off, I dig the way it was shot. Lots of long tracking shots to give it a documentary feel. Also love the split screen. It ramps up the tension and the thrills. Some sequences almost knocked me out! And the ending? Killer! Left me spinning on me heals and feeling like I'd been punched in the stomach. Not for the faint of heart or fans of mainstream cinema. Kidnapped pulls no punches and takes no prisoners. It's a Good. I gotta watch it again!

Shawn: This movie reminded me of The Strangers in a lot of ways. But I was equally reminded that it totally isn’t that film. Yes, it's a home-invasion flick and it really wasn't the fastest moving movie. But it has great tension and FAR better scenarios than most movies. It went the distance and delivered with an incredible ensemble of violence and release at the end. Not your typical feel-good ending, but an ending that satisfies the pace and build. Definitely a Good from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!