Skip to main content

Jason and Shawn review: Aaah! Zombies!! and Bunraku

Aaah! Zombies!!

Jason: Ha ha! What a riot! In a silly, gory sense of the word. Although Aaah! Zombies!! isn't my favourite zomcom -- Shaun of the Dead and Dance of the Dead are better -- this is still an entertaining flick. One to watch with a few beers and some bros. It's hard to say a lot more about this movie other than funny is funny. And Aaah! Zombies!! is funny. The fact the concept of zombies who don't realize they are zombies can sustain itself for 90 minutes speaks to how good this really is. And it's a Good for sure.

Shawn: Um, are you kidding me? What the fuck is this? A little-known director puts together an original zombie story? Is this where you have to go to find decent movies? Aaah! Zombies!! is a fucking ridiculous spin on zombies that works in so many ways. While it isn't a horror, it's goddamned entertaining! The acting pulls this whole thing together. It was soooo B, but it's also the reason this Basement Dweller suffers through the shittiest movies on earth. I do it to find these gems. A Good!

Bunraku

Jason: This is a movie where style is everything and there is no substance beyond the glorious eye candy and pure badassery of it all. It's like Repo without the opera, Bitch Slap without the bitches and Sin City without all the sin. I dug the fight scenes a lot and there's one about every eight minutes. As a film school grad, I like the fact that this whole movie is made to look like it was shot in one continuous take. That took some careful planning and editing. In fact, the more I think about Bunraku, the more I dig it. And that alone earns it a Good.

Shawn: It took me a week and a half to write this review. I don't know why. At first, I didn't like it. Then I was all "oh yes you do" then "oh no, you don't." What do I like? Do I like simple? Yep. Do I like martial arts? Yep. Do I like blood? Yep. This has all of that, but I think the look of the movie and everything going on in the background messed with my head. This is a damn good movie, as I've watched it twice now. I was more used to the style the second time. Good for me.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the great reviews guys! I hadn’t heard of either movie until today. I just saw that Banraku was for rent with my Blockbuster Movie Pass. I saw Banraku with so many big names yet I had never heard of it. I added it to the top of my queue so I should have it in a day or 2. I wanted to know a little more so I went looking for reviews. I am glad I did because I will have to check out “Aaah! Zombies!” too. If Banraku is really as stylized as Sin City and others I think I will really enjoy it. A lot of movies seem to lack anything visually catching, something with a clear visual style. The Blockbuster Movie Pass is a great addition to my DISH Network subscription. I work nights at DISH and I don’t get out to the movies as much as I like but now with the Movie Pass I can get caught up for just $10 per month. Movies, TV shows, Video games, Blu-rays, and streaming service are all included too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!