Skip to main content

Review: The Wolf of Snow Hollow

A lot of critics, I'm assuming the allegedly "woke" (hate that word) kind, are calling The Wolf of Snow Hollow a breakdown of toxic masculinity. Sure, read into it whatever you want. 

The main character -- a small-town sheriff with a failed marriage, rebellious daughter, alcohol addiction, and anger issues -- is certainly the stereotype of toxic masculinity. And writer/director/star Jim Cummings is definitely poking a bit of fun at the action hero of the 80s. But I wouldn't call the performance, nor the film, a breakdown.

In our too-PC world, we look for political messages in everything, whether they're there or not. I'm not sure what Cummings intended when he made The Wolf of Snow Hollow, but what I saw was a horror/comedy having fun with 80s horror-movie tropes, and playing within -- and then breaking -- our expectations. 

I've been doing this for a long time -- too long, maybe. I'm not saying said "woke" critics are wrong. This is just my interpretation and my opinion, which I'm allowed to have, as are you. Can't we all just get along?

Cummings has indeed made a fun film, one I laughed at a lot, and one that delivers its share of creepy and intense moments. It's brilliantly written, directed and acted by Cummings, who is backed up by a strong cast, including Rikki Lindhome, who is a far more competent sheriff than our hero, and the late Robert Forester.

As for the beast: much like in Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf, Cummings give us several red herrings as to the alleged lupine's identity. The reveal isn't as important as the ride, although the way things play out certainly surprised me.

The Wolf of Snow Hollow is a must watch, in my worthless opinion, and one I can't recommend enough. It's a Good, and one of the year's best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!