Skip to main content

Halloween Day by Day: Mt Begbie Brewing Darkside of the Stoke

 


It's the last Friday of October, which means there's just enough time for one last spooky drink before I need to start drinking "normal" craft beers again.  Which means... it's time to get dark... darkside dark...


The label for Mt Begbie's Darkside of the Stoke is absolutely outstanding.  I love the combination of the sketched out Grim Reaper looming over the Banksey style stencilling of the town.  I also love the sort of "bruised" look of the Reaper that's created by the colouring.  It draws the eye to image in a nice, subtle and simple way.  The use of the black shapes on the stained red background creates a wonderful asymmetrical, yet nicely balanced weight to the label in general.  The mixture of the different fonts for the name of the brew is interesting and appealing.  In fact, this is the sort of label I would have no problem hanging on the wall of a "man cave" as a full sized poster.


This brew has a wonderful, dark coffee colour to it- which is how I love my coffee... and my stout.  The depths are as dark and endless as death itself.  You could almost stare into it, and lose yourself in the infinity that is the darkside of the cosmos and life.  Unfortunately, like most craft stouts, it doesn't create or hold a head of foam like standard stouts like Guinness.  A nice, creamy head of foam would've been a nice topper and contrast to the deep dark abyss that is the stout itself.

To my long time friends- and readers, it's not secret that I love coffee.  And that I love stout.  As such, it's no surprise that I'd probably enjoy the two combined- which I do.  The first sip of this coffee stout was a nice, smooth one.  It didn't announce itself with a scare chord, or maniacal laughter.  Instead, it softly crept across my taste buds like the ghostly fingers of a spider web strand.  The coffee and the stout flavours danced gently and ethereally with each other to the quiet music of my thoughts.

Sometimes, the coffee was stronger then the stout taste, but would then drift away to let the stout tickle the base of my neck.  The mixture of coffee and stout was like an echo of the wind in the trees, or a flitting shadow caught in the corner of my eye.  Did I really just taste the coffee... or were my taste buds playing a trick on me?

Of the coffee stouts I've tried over the past few years, Mt Begbie's Darkside of the Stoke is the most subtle and unassuming.  I'd have no problem sitting down to carve Jack O' Lanterns, bake pumpkin seeds, or read an engrossing horror novel while sipping a bottle or two.  Sometimes, the Darkside is "Good".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!