Skip to main content

Sunday Night at the Movies: Shock Waves

Shock Waves was a staple of my weekly visits to the video store (remember those, kids?). Not because I rented it repeatedly, but because my eyes kept gravitating to the VHS case. Loved the artwork. Loved the idea of Nazi zombies, even in my early teens. But I was never allowed to rent it because . . . well, parents! Damn them!

But now I'm finally able to catch up with a movie that has intrigued me since the age of eight, and introduced the world to Nazi zombies long before Dead Snow and its brilliant sequel. Does the flick hold up to 35 years of expectation? Stick with me!

The short answer is no. Shock Waves came out in 1977, when I was five. Hit VHS in 1980, when I was eight. And it's haunted my memories since. There is no no way this movie could live up to expectations. But that doesn't mean I hated it.

Yah, it's slow. And there's little to no gore. But we still get Nazi zombies, and Brooke Adams spends 90 per cent of the movie in some variation of a yellow bikini, which is not unpleasant. I never thought of her as much of a looker until this movie. But I tell you, I am sold!

There's some effective set pieces, and a few cool zombie attacks. Peter Cushing alway brings the goods, and so do the Nazi zombies. This isn't high art, but it is what it is. Sure, it's a 70s movie, but it works well enough.

I won't watch Shock Waves again, but it's still a pretty good Sunday Night at the Movies fare. Worth the watch just once for shizzle.

FYI: director Ken Wiederhorn also directed the earlier Sunday Night at the Movies feature Return of the Living Dead Part 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Cider welcomes a Homewrecker to the Fanily

COVID-19 has impacted pretty much everything and, although some industries have slowly been able to get rolling again, sport is one that remains in limbo. This holds true for the world of Thrash Wrestling, which we in The Basement are a proud sponsor of. But the men and woman of Thrash Wrestling continue to challenge each other, and entertain fans, in a creative way. Which is why Jason and Shawn welcome Thrash Wrestler Justin Cider into the ring... err, Basement, when From The Basements takes over the Radio NL 610 AM airwaves at 6:05 tonight! Cider will update listeners on how Thrash Wrestling continues with social distancing in place. And he'll shed some light on the future of the sport, how people can support his Fanily, and more! And stick with us, as Justin joins The Basement Boys for a review of the new horror/comedy Homewrecker starring Alex Essoe and Precious Chong. Does this female-focused comedic thriller deliver the goods? Tune in after the 6 o'clock news ...

Top 5 quotes from the Rambo franchise

It's Rambo Day, which means it's a day we celebrate all things Rambo. And no, we didn't make that up. It's a real thing, and part of the lead in to Rambo: Last Blood coming out on Friday. We were going to celebrate by doing a Top 5 favourite Rambo kills, but the fine folks at Arrow in the Head already did something like that, so I figured why not share our favourite Rambo quotes. I like quotes. Quotes are good. Anyway, here we go with our Top 5, in no particular order: 5) "They drew first blood." - John Rambo, First Blood (1982) Because it's always cool when the hero references the title of the movie in a quote. 4) "Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call." - John Rambo, Rambo (2008) Because it's 100-per-cent truth, and is the exclamation mark on a great monologue by Stallone. 3) "I could have killed 'em all. I could kill you. In town, you're the law. Out here, it's me. Don't push it, or I'l...

Grace Victoria Patterson returns

What's this? Two podcasts From The Basement in less than nine months? Has the world gone mad!?! No, but when past Basement guest Grace Victoria Patterson asked nicely if she could return to this fine podcast, Jason and Shawn -- agreeable sorts that they are -- said yes. Hence we have this new episode for your ear holes! Grace provides an update on her career, which has seen the cheerleader-turned-actress appear in no fewer than eight films plus a TV series, with more projects on the way. She and Jason talk all about this, plus some other stuff. What kind of stuff? Stick with us! And stay tuned, as The Basement Boys discuss a whole slew of movies and television, including the Netflix Jimmy Savile documentary, The Batman, the horror romp The Cellar and more! It's podcasting that's so awesome, you'll be awesomed out by its awesomeness! What are you waiting for? Push play and enjoy!